website statistics

Badminton Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Griff88

57 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

For what it's worth, Dutch singles players have to be in the top-20 of 15 June's 'BWF Race to Tokyo' ranking in order to be selected.

I am continuously annoyed at the Dutch NOC qualification policies. Like, great, your “substandard” athlete will just be replaced by an even worse one.

2 minutes ago, NearPup said:

I am continuously annoyed at the Dutch NOC qualification policies. Like, great, your “substandard” athlete will just be replaced by an even worse one.

And how on earth are people going to be interested in a small sport that otherwise gets no visibility at all (and so get better, eventually) when you're rejecting quotas left and right all the time?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, MHSN said:

can somebody explain the Badminton competition format in Tokyo? I know it will be round robin. but how many groups ? how the seeding works ?

I have my own reasons to be interested in this :d

16 Groups, Some groups of 3 and some of 4, only the winners of the group advance. In the next round, Winner of Group A goes against Winner of Group B, Winner of Group c against Winner of Group D. And so forth

For doubles 4 groups of 4 teams, top 2 teams go on to a quarter final

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

can somebody explain the Badminton competition format in Tokyo? I know it will be round robin. but how many groups ? how the seeding works ?

I have my own reasons to be interested in this :d

How many seeds and groups? It depends

CDE6A731-C297-441C-BD1D-3F3D703C958A.png

2 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

How many seeds and groups? It depends

CDE6A731-C297-441C-BD1D-3F3D703C958A.png

I see. thanks, wrestling used to have the same system from 2000 to 2004 . groups of 3 as much as possible with maximum 2 groups of 4

but my main question is how the seeding works ? only top 13 will be seeded and the rest will fall in the groups randomly ? or there will be pot 1, pot 2, pot 3 based on the ranking ?

obviously our girl is capable of beating only few of these players.

9 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I see. thanks, wrestling used to have the same system from 2000 to 2004 . groups of 3 as much as possible with maximum 2 groups of 4

but my main question is how the seeding works ? only top 13 will be seeded and the rest will fall in the groups randomly ? or there will be pot 1, pot 2, pot 3 based on the ranking ?

obviously our girl is capable of beating only few of these players.

There is no pot system, number of groups will determine the number of seeds.

After the seeds were drawn according to the regulations, the remaining players are just randomly drawn until the draw is complete

32 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

There is no pot system, number of groups will determine the number of seeds.

After the seeds were drawn according to the regulations, the remaining players are just randomly drawn until the draw is complete

When shall the draw take place, as Badminton is one of the sports to commence on Day 1

:EGY Doha Hany will be the first athlete to qualify for 3 events in Olympic badminton, she has helped so many women's singles :lol:

The sequence of events happening in WS:

:ESP Marin injured, so the quota was given to next player which is her fellow :ESP Azurmendi

:FIN Mikkela is retired, her quota is given to :GUA Sotomayor

:NED Soraya No.1 who was blocked by Dutch NOC must gave her quota to :EGY Doha Hany

Since Doha Hany has qualified in other events - an extra quota opened and voila - it's a quota for :IRI Soraya No. 2 :p