website statistics

Judo EJU European Championships 2021

Totallympics

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

Well, that was strange, even the Hungarian commentators thought that it was a weird call to give the match to Pupp with that. Buy hey, she did a great job today, the COVID break clearly benefited her looking at her recent results. She might even have a shot at an Olympic medal. 

well, today I've seen a lot of dubious calls...

the worst of them all I think it was the quarterfinal decisive shido against the spaniard Gaitero against the home hero Crisostomo, who should have got the 3rd shido at least 10 times before they absolutely turned the decisive call around...:facepalm:

also Pupp benefited from very permissive refereeing (other than the bronze medal match outcome, in the quarterfinal match against Giuffrida it took 6 mins before the ref started to call some shido against her -and then he gave her 3 in a couple of mins, which is painful, even if deserved in her case)...

in general, I saw a very much different idea of refereeing compared to the IJF's grand prix and grand slam tournament...defensive, passive and destructive judo has been a lot more tolerated than normal, today...:facepalm: :wall:

under this circumstance, Amandine Bouchard and Manuel Lombardo's performances must be highlighted...they put a show on all day long with flashy ippons all over their unlucky opponents...

they really looked in Olympic shape...:bowdown:

The Dutch Judo-federation has a problem. This European Championship was the last moment that counted for the decision between Polling and Van Dijke in the women's -70 category. Polling was in a much better position prior to the European Championship, but Van Dijke won the gold today (with a lot of luck, because she had an easy route to the final and was without a chance against Pinot in that final).

A difficult choice! I would choose Polling, she is the better judoka and in my opinion she has a better chance of gold.

Henk Grol beat Roy Meyer in a rather unfriendly matchup, which should seal the Olympic deal for Grol :bowdown: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

17 hours ago, CCB said:

but Van Dijke won the gold today (with a lot of luck, because she had an easy route to the final and was without a chance against Pinot in that final).

How did Van Dijke win the gold if she was without a chance against Pinot in the final? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

How did Van Dijke win the gold if she was without a chance against Pinot in the final? :p 

Eh ... without a chance till the moment she made the ippon :p. It looked hopeless until then (two 'yellow cards')

2 minutes ago, CCB said:

Eh ... without a chance till the moment she made the ippon :p. It looked hopeless until then (two 'yellow cards')

Well, then I think Van Dijke should get the ticket. She took her chance when she had it, Polling did not.