website statistics

Wrestling UWW European Championships 2021

Totallympics

The youngest of our crazy trio. Akhsarbek is the new European Champion :clap:

Gold Medal for :SVK in European Championship combat sport. Hell must have frozen over. 

I see both bronze medalists being guys he beat in his previous rounds, so the gold is a bit deserved then.

5 hours ago, hckošice said:

he was injured (right arm) during the European Qualifier tournament (injury happened apparently 3 days before the tournament during the final preparation minicamp) and as you remember at the world champs he was selected in the non-olympic weight...

2 unfortunate moments that may really end in a missed 4 year olympic cycle for this kid, which would be really a shame, because he deserve this quota more than let say a couple of others already qualified...hopefully he will be able to have some luck in Sofia.

I follow this sport for a VERY long time. everybody has some minor injuries in this sport. I never buy these injury excuses . you are either healthy or not participating, there is no 3rd way.

he just got surprised in the European qualifiers and got pinned, that happens in wrestling. (happened to our own wrestler during the Asian qualifiers) he still has a chance to qualify but he is not the only "very good" remaining wrestler

and yes I remember 2019 where had to participate in a non-Olympic weight (and still won a bronze medal in one weight up his normal weight which is impressive)

3 hours ago, hckošice said:

I see both bronze medalists being guys he beat in his previous rounds, so the gold is a bit deserved then.

this is not possible :d he could beat only one of the bronze medalists. this the same for every other finalist in any wrestling competition. this is how repechage works in wrestling.

16 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I follow this sport for a VERY long time. everybody has some minor injuries in this sport. I never buy these injury excuses . you are either healthy or not participating, there is no 3rd way.

he just got surprised in the European qualifiers and got pinned, that happens in wrestling. (happened to our own wrestler during the Asian qualifiers) he still has a chance to qualify but he is not the only "very good" remaining wrestler

and yes I remember 2019 where had to participate in a non-Olympic weight (and still won a bronze medal in one weight up his normal weight which is impressive)

this is not possible :d he could beat only one of the bronze medalists. this the same for every other finalist in any wrestling competition. this is how repechage works in wrestling.

1. Maybe. I am not his doctor, but It was visible he had some issue with his hand, fake or not, I really can not be certain ofc :d

2. Yes, I misread it, somehow read one line below (the repechage one) instead of the second bronze medal match, my bad, stupid mistake, I admit, but for my excuse, this is what happen when you took a quick look on the results while watching hockey match on TV (And I was also a bit surprised by it, I mean beating two bronze medalists haha) well, dumb mistake :p

Anyway, Remember SVK qualifying at least 1 person in a combat sport for the Olympics (almost a science-fiction theme) would be something huge not only for his/her sport, last time we had someone, was one guy in Judo in London (lost in 1st round)...,

but Tajmuraz was last years always considered here as someone who can do it. Before going to his first importnt tournament at juniors/U23 WCh (which he won), I remember guys around him saying he can be a thing in the future, so I somehow started to follow him more closely, and despite being not one of the most famous and followed wrestlers on the planet, he step by step always succeeded to achieve some interesting results. I do believe he is the person who can bring popularity to wrestling & all other combat sports in the country.

all in all, he is sadly still equally far as close to that Olympic start...

21 minutes ago, hckošice said:

1. Maybe. I am not his doctor, but It was visible he had some issue with his hand, fake or not, I really can not be certain ofc :d

2. Yes, I misread it, somehow read one line below (the repechage one) instead of the second bronze medal match, my bad, stupid mistake, I admit, but for my excuse, this is what happen when you took a quick look on the results while watching hockey match on TV (And I was also a bit surprised by it, I mean beating two bronze medalists haha) well, dumb mistake :p

Anyway, Remember SVK qualifying at least 1 person in a combat sport for the Olympics (almost a science-fiction theme) would be something huge not only for his/her sport, last time we had someone, was one guy in Judo in London (lost in 1st round)...,

but Tajmuraz was last years always considered here as someone who can do it. Before going to his first importnt tournament at juniors/U23 WCh (which he won), I remember guys around him saying he can be a thing in the future, so I somehow started to follow him more closely, and despite being not one of the most famous and followed wrestlers on the planet, he step by step always succeeded to achieve some interesting results. I do believe he is the person who can bring popularity to wrestling & all other combat sports in the country.

all in all, he is sadly still equally far as close to that Olympic start...

there is a difference between fake injuries and exaggeration about a minor injury. whenever one of our wrestlers lose, he talks about his injury. I'm just very familiar with this excuse :d this is a tough sport, everybody has some injuries.

well I know him very well since 2018 where he beat one of our guys at the World Championships "controversially" 7-7 at 70kg. at the time it was shocking for most fans here how come our rep can lose to some unknown guy. and I had to tell everybody that Salkazanov is a decent wrestler. interestingly the same person is going to represent Iran in Tokyo (not a sure thing yet but very likely) it will be interesting if they meet again in Tokyo.

but as I said about one of Polish wrestlers, I'm not sure if wrestling here was a good idea 2 or 3 weeks before the last chance tournament. we will know the answer soon enough in Bulgaria.

5 hours ago, MHSN said:

there is a difference between fake injuries and exaggeration about a minor injury. whenever one of our wrestlers lose, he talks about his injury. I'm just very familiar with this excuse :d this is a tough sport, everybody has some injuries.

well I know him very well since 2018 where he beat one of our guys at the World Championships "controversially" 7-7 at 70kg. at the time it was shocking for most fans here how come our rep can lose to some unknown guy. and I had to tell everybody that Salkazanov is a decent wrestler. interestingly the same person is going to represent Iran in Tokyo (not a sure thing yet but very likely) it will be interesting if they meet again in Tokyo.

but as I said about one of Polish wrestlers, I'm not sure if wrestling here was a good idea 2 or 3 weeks before the last chance tournament. we will know the answer soon enough in Bulgaria.

Sure, but I think our federation just tried to play safely. Covid hit many aspects of life sports as Well. Minor sports being Hurts the most. A 3-4th place at OQT brings you nothing, instead a top result at european championship fullfil required criterias for funding and states financial support. With the two secured medals from Akhsarbek and Tajmuraz plus possible bronze from Makoev they managed to save Their funding. However I agree that clearly peaking 3 weeks before the most important event was not the best idea, but I Can very Well understand the reasoning of that...

so Russia finished the freestyle competition with 6 golds and 2 silver. and I have to say they didn't bring 5 of their best wrestlers. (the same goes for some other countries too) interestingly the other 4 gold medals went to Turkey and guess who ? Slovakia ! 2 for each

Taha Akgul won the 125kg gold medal in his comeback, he looked good but his final was ugly with the Russian kid receiving so many cautions and finally got disqualified with just 1 second to go :d

if we had a MVP award I believe Salkazanov deserved it. 74kg was in a very high level and he went through a very tough bracket. that was the worst possible draw.

Chamizo beat Zhamalov for the bronze. Zhamalov was winning the Russian nationals but lost it to the World Champion Sidakov in the last seconds he was leading 2-1 and he thought even a 2-2 will be enough for him and gave up a pushout point easily. he was an inch away from winning the Russian nationals and make the Olympic team. he had to win gold in a dominant way to stand a slim chance for a wrestle-off with Sidakov but now I'm quite sure he is out of the picture.