website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

OlympicIRL

And I don't know why not give invitations to the marathon.

They gave just 1 to a :SOL athlete who probably is going to end like at least 25 minutes behind everyone. Invite 3/4 more athletes, so they can form a small "pack" in the back of the race and run with each other and no just one, cause then it's going to be too obvious. And is the easiest to allocate athletes cause always is going to be an athlete with the olympic standard that struggles and goes over 3 hours for the women, and 2:30 for the men.

:LBA:ISV:JOR:NEP:ISL:GAM:HKG:KGZ:CHA:BEN:SOM:UAE:SGP for the men all have decent marathon runners. And :PLE:LBN:SOL:PAR:ZIM:MKD:VIE:PHI for the women.

It creates a decent secondary field that is not going to "humilliate" themselves in the track.

3 hours ago, Jur said:

And I don't know why not give invitations to the marathon.

They gave just 1 to a :SOL athlete who probably is going to end like at least 25 minutes behind everyone. Invite 3/4 more athletes, so they can form a small "pack" in the back of the race and run with each other and no just one, cause then it's going to be too obvious. And is the easiest to allocate athletes cause always is going to be an athlete with the olympic standard that struggles and goes over 3 hours for the women, and 2:30 for the men.

:LBA:ISV:JOR:NEP:ISL:GAM:HKG:KGZ:CHA:BEN:SOM:UAE:SGP for the men all have decent marathon runners. And :PLE:LBN:SOL:PAR:ZIM:MKD:VIE:PHI for the women.

It creates a decent secondary field that is not going to "humilliate" themselves in the track.

the diffrance between the Marathon and the 100M is that in the 100m you don't have much time to think about what the fuck the WA and IOC are doing with their stupid ideas while in the Marathon you do have the time but after 2 hours or so you start to see the "importance of participating" anything between you will stuck with the WTF mood from the beginnig...

Did WA published official list of qualified athletes already? No matter what answear will be, if after 5th July someone will withdrew then first underline athlete still can replace this withdrawing athlete? I'm wonder especially in case in discus throw where Martinez from Spain will probably not compete and Polish guy Robert Urbanek is first underline.

@dcro @Jur @Makedonas @JoshMartini007 @LowerSaxony I'm thinking of writing a story about World Athletics denying non-100m athletes universality spots... people deserve to know about it. If anyone knows of any other cases where athletes were denied spots and replaced by sprinters, please let me know! So far we have :BER Tyrone Smith (long jump) and :NEP Gopi Chandra Parki (marathon), but I bet there could be more.

In the 100m start lists, eight athletes I found are specialized in other events, according to World Athletics records.

• Women: :DJI (400m/800m), :ARM (triple jump), :TPE (100m hurdles), :ALG (400m hurdles)
  • Men: :TLS (5000m/10000m), :SOM (1500m), :ISV (110m hurdles), :CAF (800m/1500m)

@ahjfcshfghb the guy from :GUY is a long jumper, who has also competed in the sprints in the past. My gut tells me he asked for a long jump entry, but was given a 100m entry instead. I can’t confirm this, but this is something you could look into.

I’d absolutely recommend pushing that story ATR’s way.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I've said this like 100 times already, but the Armenian girl used to be a Greek triple jumper. She switched to Armenia a few weeks ago (probably has distant Armenian roots based on her surname and the fact that many Armenians settled in Greece after the Armenian Genocide), then ran her first 100m a week and a half ago.

It seems like all she wanted was to get an Olympic chance, hence the switch to Armenia and probably at that point she was willing to do 100m. No way was she going to decide not to go to Tokyo simply because she couldn't get into her preferred event after she already switched to Armenia (presumably only for the Olympic chance). With Greece she never would've had a chance of getting a universality spot.