website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

OlympicIRL

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

That’s essentially the point I’m making. My posts were just to point out flaws with the current qualification system.

The current qualification system with high qualifying marks and World Rankings are fine in my opinion. But I feel World Athletics didn't manage the qualifying system properly during the coronavirus pandemic. 

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, many competitions got cancelled or had travel restrictions. Hence most of the top competitions were held in Europe & North America and athletes from Asia and Africa couldn't participate. To remedy this, World Athletics could have held region wise tournament and assigned a category of C or D which offers enough ranking points. Hence it would be fair for African and Asian athletes not having the pressure to attain qualifying mark but garner enough ranking points. 

49 minutes ago, Adriano said:

I can't see too. I check number and filter in men's 100

It's weird. When you open the Road To Tokyo page, the filter shows 'men's 100 m', while it is the women's 100 m list that is being displayed automatically.

To display the men's 100 m list, you need to choose another event on the filter, and then choose men's 100 m again...

I seriously believe this could be a case of forced gender equality creating a software bug...

#banbestmen

On 29/06/2021 at 21:03, Jur said:

Well, from the theee girls with the exact standar and the +2.0 wind she's the only one in qualyfing ranking place. It's not heartbreaking, is just convinient she's the one that gets the wind adjusted ;)

I checked the long jump ranking and at the moment, Veiga is out of qualification spots. And that's despite Thiam not using her quota, Iapichino's withdrawal and Sokolova not being selected for ROC. There are two universality qualifiers that might have bumped her out. She will need two more withdrawals/rejections of invitations to make it, as she is ranked 34th, with only 32 available spots.