website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

OlympicIRL

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

Apparently not

It's going to be so annoying for athletes from other countries who would've made it if not for these universality places taking up spots from the rankings.

There are a bunch of Greeks who are borderline right now, so if any of them miss out because of these universality places, I'm going to be so angry.

Also it looks like World Athletics is starting to remove injured athletes from the Road to Tokyo lists. I noticed in the women's 100 hurdles that the two Germans (Dutkiewicz and Roleder) are no longer listed. Koleczek from Poland is still listed for now. I haven't checked other events.

26 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

It's going to be so annoying for athletes from other countries who would've made it if not for these universality places taking up spots from the rankings.

There are a bunch of Greeks who are borderline right now, so if any of them miss out because of these universality places, I'm going to be so angry.

Also it looks like World Athletics is starting to remove injured athletes from the Road to Tokyo lists. I noticed in the women's 100 hurdles that the two Germans (Dutkiewicz and Roleder) are no longer listed. Koleczek from Poland is still listed for now. I haven't checked other events.

And athletes who have qualified in multiple events but won't start in a particular event

Well, it was clear from the rules that universality spots would come before ranking spots. After all, IAAF/WA couldn't keep giving out hundreds of spots more than the allowed quota as usual, while every sport is asked to make cuts - the standards to reach for automatic qualification are thougher but quite fair given the number of athletes who reached them.

Insane running in the US. Holloway's 12,81 and Benjamin's 46,83 and Thomas' 21,61....no idea which one is the best, they are all rather insanely fast :d 

Probably I'd go for Benjamin's race because he got so close to such an old world record (and Thomas didn't really get close to the even older WR, although she could have gone faster had she not celebrated with 30m to go, one might imagine).

What an evening of running, unbelievable.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

if only a few wada officials were trolling around...:whistle:

oh, wait...I thought we were talking of the Chinese and Russian champs...the US athletes are all clean as fresh water, they don't even need to be checked...certain words don't even exist in their vocabulary...:raspberry: :hairpull:

For me it is fine. I even think that all ranking places should be removed and reallocated to small nations. It is the Olympics after all, they should award much more universality places, each NOC should be able to have at least 1 M and 1 W in Athletics. I mean there a possibility to qualify by achieving standards, you have the standard you go, if you have not, then you have only 2 options, either sign quickly for a meeting in central asia or coninue training and prepare for the next games.

having 50+ athletes from one country and at same time many countries still without single participation is sad for me. This is not the world champs, this is the Olympics

32 minutes ago, phelps said:

oh, wait...I thought we were talking of the Chinese and Russian champs...the US athletes are all clean as fresh water, they don't even need to be checked...certain words don't even exist in their vocabulary...:raspberry: :hairpull:

Personally I find it quite impressive. No matter how many of their top athletes get caught, the others just keep swallowing whatever they can find. I just wish the rest of the world would exclude the US from international competitions until they develop a working anti-Doping system. 

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, phelps said:

Eugene, the Cheboksary of the US :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!