website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

OlympicIRL

7 minutes ago, Oldira said:

So in theory about 1/3 of the field in the 100m could be universality places? Some events will have few, if any from the rankings so.

It is possible, yes.

However, only one total universality place can be now awarded per nation (as opposed to one per gender in 2016).

Plus, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the universality spots will be awarded based on rankings. This should prevent nations from stacking up 100 m events (to an extent).

#banbestmen

10 minutes ago, Jur said:

Are y'all sure? The "Road to Tokyo" thing in the WA page doesn't count the Universiality Places in the total of the quota places.

There's some bugs in there I think as, for example, they have 4 women from Germany qualified through time in the 100m (as 2 of them have the same time, I think)

8 minutes ago, Jur said:

Are y'all sure? The "Road to Tokyo" thing in the WA page doesn't count the Universiality Places in the total of the quota places.

Yes. Road to Tokyo shows that :OMA:FSM:KIR:TGA have moved :ITA Tortu from 40th qualified athlete to 44th.

#banbestmen

I noticed in the Olympic schedule there is a preliminary round before Round 1 in men’s 100m but not the women’s 100m. I wonder is that because they anticipate they will overshoot the quota in the men’s 100m since that is where the majority of universality quotas are usually requested? 

1 hour ago, dodge said:

Some events are already over the quota anyway and won't use the rankings at all. (Women's 5k, men's 10k). I think women's triple jump will end up that way too

Isn't there a rule that no matter how many athletes qualify via minimum, the next best from ranking qualifies? 

I am unashamed, at getting nothing done.

26 minutes ago, szy123 said:

Isn't there a rule that no matter how many athletes qualify via minimum, the next best from ranking qualifies? 

Only if the quota hasn’t been reached in the event already. If the quota is filled by athletes with the automatic qualification standard then the rankings will not be used... they are only used to fill the quota in events where there are places available.

1 hour ago, dodge said:

They didn't expect any of the events to be filled solely by times but then the new shoes came along and...

It’s not necessary about the technology in this case. I read an interview Coe gave a while back, and he said the additional time was likely the culprit for why so many athletes are reaching the standards. World Athletics only intended for about 50% of entries for each event to reach the standard, but with effectively two full seasons to qualify, more athletes have been able to do so. That was his two cents on the topic anyway.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela