website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

OlympicIRL

On 06/06/2021 at 03:37, EselTheDonkey said:

I think only the better one counts.

"

1. To avoid overweighting, competitions in the OW and DF Categories, and for all Event Groups, will only be included once in any edition of the Rankings, regardless of the 12 or 18 months rule."

Source: 1. Basics of the Rankings (worldathletics.org)

They're counting both of them if you look at this week's rankings. Wow.

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

RIP 100 m non-direct qualifiers.

I think the universality places are in addition to the 56 qualifiers.  In theory every country could send an athlete to compete in the 100 m if they had no other athletics qualifier. there were 23 universality places in 100m in 2016. But I could be very wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Oldira said:

I think the universality places are in addition to the 56 qualifiers.  In theory every country could send an athlete to compete in the 100 m if they had no other athletics qualifier. there were 23 universality places in 100m in 2016. But I could be very wrong. 

They changed it. Now all universality spots have to count within the set quota (with priority over non-direct qualifiers).

#banbestmen

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

They changed it. Now all universality spots have to count within the set quota (with priority over non-direct qualifiers).

So in theory about 1/3 of the field in the 100m could be universality places? Some events will have few, if any from the rankings so.