website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

OlympicIRL

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

One of the sadder 'doping' stories recently, I'd say. First things first, it is entirely her own fault and nothing can take that away, but it's only human to not be able to deal with the death of a parent and lose control over yourself in a way that's perfectly fine for a non-athlete, but sadly not for an athlete.

One of the few cases in which I can actually feel some sympathy for someone who tested positive (same with a lot of East German and Soviet athletes who were doped/drugged from when they were only teenagers), even though like I said it is of course 100% on her and her punishment is sad, but correct.

The one upside is that there will be 4 consecutive global champs after this, including a home worlds for her next year, and Paris only three years away. If she plays it cool, does the Diamond League circuit after the Games, she could make money hand over fist - America loves a 'redemption arc' - and be set fair for superstardom - not least because this is the one 'doping' story where most people who hear it will sympathise with her - indeed, given who her coaching team is, she could hardly have asked for a better story.

On 07/07/2021 at 04:59, ahjfcshfghb said:

@dcro @Jur @Makedonas @JoshMartini007 @LowerSaxony I'm thinking of writing a story about World Athletics denying non-100m athletes universality spots... people deserve to know about it. If anyone knows of any other cases where athletes were denied spots and replaced by sprinters, please let me know! So far we have :BER Tyrone Smith (long jump) and :NEP Gopi Chandra Parki (marathon), but I bet there could be more.

In the 100m start lists, eight athletes I found are specialized in other events, according to World Athletics records.

• Women: :DJI (400m/800m), :ARM (triple jump), :TPE (100m hurdles), :ALG (400m hurdles)
  • Men: :TLS (5000m/10000m), :SOM (1500m), :ISV (110m hurdles), :CAF (800m/1500m)

So WA changed some things around according to this: https://www.worldathletics.org/competitions/olympic-games/the-xxxii-olympic-games-athletics-7132391/athletes?urlSlug=the-xxxii-olympic-games-athletics-7132391&competitionGroup=olympic-games&disciplineCode=&sexCode=&countryCode=

:CAF is now on men's 800. :DJI in women's 1500, :ALG in womens 400 hurdles, :TLS and :SOM in men's 1500, :ISV in 110 hurdles.

:ARM doesn't have a female listed anymore, and :TPE is still in 100m.

I don't know if any other changes where made.

23 minutes ago, Jur said:

So WA changed some things around according to this: https://www.worldathletics.org/competitions/olympic-games/the-xxxii-olympic-games-athletics-7132391/athletes?urlSlug=the-xxxii-olympic-games-athletics-7132391&competitionGroup=olympic-games&disciplineCode=&sexCode=&countryCode=

:CAF is now on men's 800. :DJI in women's 1500, :ALG in womens 400 hurdles, :TLS and :SOM in men's 1500, :ISV in 110 hurdles.

:ARM doesn't have a female listed anymore, and :TPE is still in 100m.

I don't know if any other changes where made.

That's great! Shame it was too late for Bermuda/the Nepalese marathoner but at least they realized. IMO universality places shouldn't be included in the World Ranking... hopefully they will fix that for later events.

13 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

That's great! Shame it was too late for Bermuda/the Nepalese marathoner but at least they realized. IMO universality places shouldn't be included in the World Ranking... hopefully they will fix that for later events.

Maybe your article helped :)

More Men's 100 universiality quota changes:

:MLI to men's 200m

:SEN to men's 110 hurdles

And Women's 100m universiality quota changes:

:HAI quota changed to Mulern Jean in women's 100 hurdles

Only 30 women in the javelin throw and not 32?

:CHN Yu and :SLO Ratej missing

Why couldn't they add the 33rd and 34th placed girls? Both are Japanese also, so they'll probably be in Japan anyways

Also if it's because they didn't withdraw in time, that's really annoying because Ratej is 39 years old and hasn't competed in two years. You didn't have to be a rocket scientist to think that she probably wasn't going to Tokyo

1 hour ago, Makedonas said:

Only 30 women in the javelin throw and not 32?

:CHN Yu and :SLO Ratej missing

Why couldn't they add the 33rd and 34th placed girls? Both are Japanese also, so they'll probably be in Japan anyways

Also if it's because they didn't withdraw in time, that's really annoying because Ratej is 39 years old and hasn't competed in two years. You didn't have to be a rocket scientist to think that she probably wasn't going to Tokyo

It's possible they are waiting for spots #31 and #32 to be confirmed by the respective NOCs before they publish it. I doubt a reallocation deadline has passed, especially since athletics starts later.

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, dcro said:

It's possible they are waiting for spots #31 and #32 to be confirmed by the respective NOCs before they publish it. I doubt a reallocation deadline has passed, especially since athletics starts later.

Certainly not waiting on Ratej though. She's been suspended for doping since February 2020