website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

OlympicIRL

8 hours ago, rybak said:

Did WA published official list of qualified athletes already? No matter what answear will be, if after 5th July someone will withdrew then first underline athlete still can replace this withdrawing athlete? I'm wonder especially in case in discus throw where Martinez from Spain will probably not compete and Polish guy Robert Urbanek is first underline.

There's a weird thing with Martinez, he's still fighting to be selected and could end up in the games still.

6 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

@dcro @Jur @Makedonas @JoshMartini007 @LowerSaxony I'm thinking of writing a story about World Athletics denying non-100m athletes universality spots... people deserve to know about it. If anyone knows of any other cases where athletes were denied spots and replaced by sprinters, please let me know! So far we have :BER Tyrone Smith (long jump) and :NEP Gopi Chandra Parki (marathon), but I bet there could be more.

In the 100m start lists, eight athletes I found are specialized in other events, according to World Athletics records.

• Women: :DJI (400m/800m), :ARM (triple jump), :TPE (100m hurdles), :ALG (400m hurdles)
  • Men: :TLS (5000m/10000m), :SOM (1500m), :ISV (110m hurdles), :CAF (800m/1500m)

WA doesn't make sense at all. I just found the case of :STP D'Jamila TAVARES (a not-so-good 3000stp athlete) given an universiality quota in 800m when the country has a much better long jumper in Agate DE SOUSA that also is a 11.81 sprinter (much better than most of the girls that got universiality quotas)......

MAKE IT MAKE SENSE....

11 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

@dcro @Jur @Makedonas @JoshMartini007 @LowerSaxony I'm thinking of writing a story about World Athletics denying non-100m athletes universality spots... people deserve to know about it. If anyone knows of any other cases where athletes were denied spots and replaced by sprinters, please let me know! So far we have :BER Tyrone Smith (long jump) and :NEP Gopi Chandra Parki (marathon), but I bet there could be more.

In the 100m start lists, eight athletes I found are specialized in other events, according to World Athletics records.

• Women: :DJI (400m/800m), :ARM (triple jump), :TPE (100m hurdles), :ALG (400m hurdles)
  • Men: :TLS (5000m/10000m), :SOM (1500m), :ISV (110m hurdles), :CAF (800m/1500m)

Good idea. What media/platform do you plan to use?

As said before, it's an absolute disgrace of WA. F.e. the guy from TLS has a ~14:30 PB over 5000m and might not be world class, but he still has a very decent level (better than >99,99% of the world) and it is absolutely disrespectful to offer such an athlete a place for an event where he has no connection with and - from the point of view of WA - where the athletes least bothers the entire event. Likewise, you don't ask a dressage rider to compete in show jumping because there are no more slots available for dressage.

8 hours ago, Jur said:

WA doesn't make sense at all. I just found the case of :STP D'Jamila TAVARES (a not-so-good 3000stp athlete) given an universiality quota in 800m when the country has a much better long jumper in Agate DE SOUSA that also is a 11.81 sprinter (much better than most of the girls that got universiality quotas)......

MAKE IT MAKE SENSE....

Agate is illegal in Portugal and cannot travel outside of the country...

4 hours ago, LowerSaxony said:

Good idea. What media/platform do you plan to use?

As said before, it's an absolute disgrace of WA. F.e. the guy from TLS has a ~14:30 PB over 5000m and might not be world class, but he still has a very decent level (better than >99,99% of the world) and it is absolutely disrespectful to offer such an athlete a place for an event where he has no connection with and - from the point of view of WA - where the athletes least bothers the entire event. Likewise, you don't ask a dressage rider to compete in show jumping because there are no more slots available for dressage.

Around The Rings, I am interning there. Thank you everyone for your ideas. Main thing now is to get a quote from one of the athletes. Have reached out to a couple, so will see if any reply, and then a story can be done.