website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

OlympicIRL

1 minute ago, OlympicIRL said:

So I just got an email from World Athletics in response to my question if unqualified athletes impact the 56 athlete quota in the men’s 100m and it’s as I suspected, they don’t impact the quota for that event:

Not sure what the case is for the other events. 

so there will be 56 qualified via the ranking and the minimums + the tripartites?

3 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

so there will be 56 qualified via the ranking and the minimums + the tripartites?

Yes according to World Athletics that is the case for the men’s 100m. I do not know if that is the case for any other event. 

I would imagine some of those qualified by ranking-only in the men’s 100m will be entered in the preliminary round with the universality qualified athletes before we move to Round 1 proper with 56 athletes.

5 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

So I just got an email from World Athletics in response to my question if unqualified athletes impact the 56 athlete quota in the men’s 100m and it’s as I suspected, they don’t impact the quota for that event:

Not sure what the case is for the other events. 

Well, that's pretty weird. Singling out one event like this.

I guess preliminary stages will then have some World Ranking athletes combined with universality athletes? Talk about no-contest.

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Well, that's pretty weird. Singling out one event like this.

I guess preliminary stages will then have some World Ranking athletes combined with universality athletes? Talk about no-contest.

Yes that’s how it worked in the previous world championships I believe where B standard athletes were in the prelim round along with the universality athletes.

It would be interesting to know if it is only for the men’s 100m or if it is the case through all events that universality places don’t affect the quota. I am pretty sure it is only the men’s 100m this applies to as even the women’s 100m doesn’t have a prelim round and therefore probably has a fixed number of 56 quotas.

I will email them back after work to see if I can get more clarification :d 

6 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Yes that’s how it worked in the previous world championships I believe where B standard athletes were in the prelim round along with the universality athletes.

It would be interesting to know if it is only for the men’s 100m or if it is the case through all events that universality places don’t affect the quota. I am pretty sure it is only the men’s 100m this applies to as even the women’s 100m doesn’t have a prelim round and therefore probably has a fixed number of 56 quotas.

I will email them back after work to see if I can get more clarification :d 

But the again, those B standard athletes were always a minority and still some pure universality athletes progressed?

If 56 athletes are to advance to the first round, then universality athletes stand no chance barring any injuries or false starts. This mismatch will look pretty bad on screen. :facepalm:

#banbestmen