website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

OlympicIRL

19 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Fastest time ever run in the USA

7th fastest ever by a Brit. The only one's who have run faster are Farah, Coe, Cram, Ovett and from the current generation Jake Wightman and Charlie Grice who he will face at the Olympic trials. The strength of British middle distance running is amazing at the moment and the 800 and 1500m trials in both the men's and women's events are going to be blockbusters. There are going to be some very disappointed athletes who won't be going to Tokyo.

:CAN has confirmed some new names for the team

Mohammed Ahmed (St. Catharines, Ont.) – Men’s 10,000 metres
Mathieu Bilodeau (Quebec City, Que.) – Men’s 50-kilometre race walk
Malindi Elmore (Kelowna, B.C.) – Women’s marathon
Cameron Levins (Black Creek, B.C.) – Men’s marathon
Ben Preisner (Milton, Ont.) – Men’s marathon
Andrea Seccafien (Guelph, Ont.) – Women’s 10,000 metres
Natasha Wodak (North Vancouver, B.C.) – Women’s marathon

I found out recently that some Iranian athletes who qualified for 2012 and 2016 Olympics cheated their way into it. of course I have no proof but I'm almost sure about at least two of them. (I suspect 5 or 6)

it seems in certain countries (mostly Belarus) you can get whatever result you want!!!

while checking some results this one caught my attention, this guy from Bahrain all of a sudden qualified for the Olympics by a 21.10m throw in Belarus. (which is equal to the qualification mark) his other results are much weaker. I think this is at best suspicious . (or maybe he is young and improved big time :dunno:)

https://www.worldathletics.org/athletes/bahrain/abdelrahman-mahmoud-14847215

5 hours ago, MHSN said:

I found out recently that some Iranian athletes who qualified for 2012 and 2016 Olympics cheated their way into it. of course I have no proof but I'm almost sure about at least two of them. (I suspect 5 or 6)

it seems in certain countries (mostly Belarus) you can get whatever result you want!!!

while checking some results this one caught my attention, this guy from Bahrain all of a sudden qualified for the Olympics by a 21.10m throw in Belarus. (which is equal to the qualification mark) his other results are much weaker. I think this is at best suspicious . (or maybe he is young and improved big time :dunno:)

Same thing is going on in Armenia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan.

Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan are usually a little more "subtle". As in, their athletes don't achieve literally the exact required standards (like basically the whole Armenian team did for 2016). :p But still, they achieve massive and suspicious PBs at home events which they never repeat somewhere outside.

#banbestmen

13 minutes ago, dcro said:

Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan are usually a little more "subtle". As in, their athletes don't achieve literally the exact required standards (like basically the whole Armenian team did for 2016). :p But still, they achieve massive and suspicious PBs at home events which they never repeat somewhere outside.

The funniest was in 2016 there was an Armenian girl who primarily ran 400m but somehow qualified in 400m hurdles. Her 400m hurdles PB (which she never came close to ever again) is actually better than her 400m PB, lmao :lol:

https://www.worldathletics.org/athletes/armenia/lilit-harutyunyan-14421034

30 minutes ago, dcro said:

Indian athletics team also goes to Kazakhstan just before every Olympics for same reason. World Athletics is also well aware of this problem. I think the present ranking system was brought in to combat this problem to an extent. 

Also, this phenomenon is not limited to athletics. Recently, an Indian swimmer raised questions over a Tashkent meet. 

Link

6 hours ago, MHSN said:

*elizabeth swaney has entered the chat*

super hero running GIF by #MTNBrightSideGIFs
Well we could be mad at it orrrr just maybe we should all go and amazingly qualify for the Olympics :mumble::facepalm: