website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

OlympicIRL

9 minutes ago, Jur said:

So :ESP federation just released their qualification rules for the OG. I have a doubt. if anyone could help me....

If a country has 3 athletes with the standard, can you withdrew one of those places and select one athlete thats on a qualifying spot in the ranking?

And, if you have an athlete with the standard and a lot that qualify in ranking spot, can you withdrew the standar quota place and select three athletes from the ranking? Im talking about 50 race walk in this case. 

image.png

Could the federation reject Corchete's place even though he has the standar and send three of the others to the games?

I do not think it is possible. either you have to met the standard or you have to hope that you will be well placed in the ranking. but I doubt you can replace someone with a standard by someone who does not have it just because he is from the same NOC

7 minutes ago, hckošice said:

I do not think it is possible. either you have to met the standard or you have to hope that you will be well placed in the ranking. but I doubt you can replace someone with a standard by someone who does not have it just because he is from the same NOC

But the federation can just not select the athlete with the standar if they know that other three athletes would be entering by ranking...

3 minutes ago, Jur said:

But the federation can just not select the athlete with the standar if they know that other three athletes would be entering by ranking...

sure, you are not forced to send athletes with standard if you do not want, but then you just have to hope that the guy(s) without standards are well placed in the ranking to be repeached

1 minute ago, hckošice said:

sure, you are not forced to send athletes with standard if you do not want, but then you just have to hope that the guy(s) without standards are well placed in the ranking to be repeached

I've just asked a friend who works for World Athletics for his opinion. I'll send you his reply when I get it.

4 minutes ago, hckošice said:

yes, the qualifying rules for Spain said that they are going to wait until World Athletics reports how the rankings end to make a decision, so they would select knowing who is in and who is out.

Here's the reply I got

"Just had a look at the qualification system doc.
Given it says: "An athlete can qualify in one of two ways - entry standard or world ranking." I understand that to mean that both pathways have equal weighting, and federations can select any athletes they like, provided they're qualified in either of those ways. In fact, that would have to be the case for comps like the US Trials to work. If, for example, the USA has 7 athletes with the qualifying standard and a further 6 within world rankings places, they'd still be able to send the top three finishers at the US Trials."

15 hours ago, Jur said:

So :ESP federation just released their qualification rules for the OG. I have a doubt. if anyone could help me....

If a country has 3 athletes with the standard, can you withdrew one of those places and select one athlete thats on a qualifying spot in the ranking?

And, if you have an athlete with the standard and a lot that qualify in ranking spot, can you withdrew the standar quota place and select three athletes from the ranking? Im talking about 50 race walk in this case. 

image.png

Could the federation reject Corchete's place even though he has the standar and send three of the others to the games?

I guess it depends on the federation. Don't forget that the world ranking has not been closed yet. I suppose they can nominate the one with limit and withdraw the one from the ranking. I suppose they may not nominate someone from ranking if they had enough ppl make the limit. As for walk races and marathon, I guess most of the ppl will be nominated based on limits, not ranking. Just my personal guess. 

I am not sure whether the topic has already been here but I was trying to find some live tracker for Olympic athletics qualification which would include both - qualified by the quali standart and also the IAAF Ranking but haven't found anything yet. Anybody knows about anything? Thanks

10 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

I am not sure whether the topic has already been here but I was trying to find some live tracker for Olympic athletics qualification which would include both - qualified by the quali standart and also the IAAF Ranking but haven't found anything yet. Anybody knows about anything? Thanks

https://www.worldathletics.org/stats-zone/road-to/7132391