website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

OlympicIRL

• 1 month later...

World Athletics will lift the suspension of the Tokyo Olympic qualification system for the marathon and race walk events from 1 September 2020, due to concerns over the lack of qualifying opportunities that may be available for road athletes before the qualification period finishes on 31 May 2021. 

https://www.worldathletics.org/news/press-releases/shoe-technology-rules-tokyo-qualification-roa

Road athletes will be able to register Olympic qualifying entry standards from 1 September to 30 November, but only in pre-identified, advertised and authorised races being staged on World Athletics certified courses, with in-competition drug testing on site.

The accrual of points for world rankings and the automatic qualification through Gold label marathons /Platinum Label marathons remains suspended until 30 November 2020.

The Virgin Money London Marathon, due to take place on Sunday 4 October, is committed to working with World Athletics to promote this opportunity to athletes around the world and to assist with their travel challenges so they can participate in London and achieve their Olympic qualifying time.

World Athletics will also work with the ADNOC Abu Dhabi Marathon to see if they can offer similar opportunities.

In addition, we expect there will be at least two major race walking events staged between 1 September and 30 November 2020

World Athletics will also work with its Member Federations and meeting organisers to ensure that there are sufficient pre-Olympic competition opportunities for all track and field disciplines, particularly those that traditionally have fewer meeting opportunities, from 1 December 2020 onwards.

World Athletics also revised rules that govern shoe technology.

I have been reading the guidelines for all 2020 Olympic sports over the last few weeks trying to gain a better understanding of how athletes can qualifying for the Olympics.  When I came to reading the qualification guidelines for the Athletics I became a little confused and was wondering if anybody would be able to answer my query.

So I see that athletes can qualify by entry standard and their world rankings as well as athletes by universality place and athletes running only in the relays.  I then looked at the road to Olympic Games 2020 - https://www.worldathletics.org/stats-zone/road-to/7132391?eventId=10229634 - and seen that 91 athletes meet the entry standard time for the Men's Marathon but the entry number is 80.  Would all these athletes be able to compete or would some of them have to be cut?  Also as it stands 31 athletes meet the entry standard time for the Men's 100m.  Lets say 12 athletes obtain a universality spot, would it then be 13 athletes qualifying via the world rankings to reach the enter number of 56 or would it be 25 athletes with the universality spots added on top to take it over the 56 limit?  Would that logic also apply to the other events in Athletics?

On 04/08/2020 at 23:03, Orkney1996 said:

I have been reading the guidelines for all 2020 Olympic sports over the last few weeks trying to gain a better understanding of how athletes can qualifying for the Olympics.  When I came to reading the qualification guidelines for the Athletics I became a little confused and was wondering if anybody would be able to answer my query.

So I see that athletes can qualify by entry standard and their world rankings as well as athletes by universality place and athletes running only in the relays.  I then looked at the road to Olympic Games 2020 - https://www.worldathletics.org/stats-zone/road-to/7132391?eventId=10229634 - and seen that 91 athletes meet the entry standard time for the Men's Marathon but the entry number is 80.  Would all these athletes be able to compete or would some of them have to be cut?  Also as it stands 31 athletes meet the entry standard time for the Men's 100m.  Lets say 12 athletes obtain a universality spot, would it then be 13 athletes qualifying via the world rankings to reach the enter number of 56 or would it be 25 athletes with the universality spots added on top to take it over the 56 limit?  Would that logic also apply to the other events in Athletics?

Everybody who reached the standard can take part, even if the entry number is higher than for example 80 in Marathon. 

On 28/07/2020 at 16:56, Wumo said:

In addition, we expect there will be at least two major race walking events staged between 1 September and 30 November 2020

The race walking cup in Alytus, Lithuania is going to be one of the key events in this. It already attracted some tough contenders last year since everybody started respecting Lithuanian race-walkers more and being recognised with an EA Permit Meeting status, I'd expect a lot of athletes looking at Lithuania as their opportunity, especially since we've handled Covid pretty well (it's going to shit lately, masks are back in stores and public transport since a week ago or something, but we're still having concerts with a 1000 attendees, so I'd say we're struggling less than some others :p)