website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

OlympicIRL

Just now, AlFHg said:

I honestly think it is the opposite: I would say that once an athlete, especially a relatively top athlete, has secured an A standard, he/she will be able to plan better for the Olympics or any other event, while the ranking will be used for the mid/low athlete, probably with the hope of encouraging them to participate to more meetings (and so allowing IAAF to advertise them as a better tv product).

Could be. I probably read some early draft. :mumble:

So far the following nations have reached the standards (10000m, marathon, walks and combined events)

Men's Marathon

:ETH (3 athletes)

:JPN (3 athletes)

:KEN (3 athletes)

:MAR (3 athletes)

:BRN (2 athletes)

:RSA (2 athletes)

:ERI (1 athlete)

:FRA (1 athlete)

:ISR (1 athlete)

:MEX (1 athlete)

:SUI (1 athlete)

:TAN (1 athlete)

Men's 20km Walk

:RUS (3 athletes)

:AUS (1 athlete)

:SWE (1 athlete)

Men's 50km Walk

:CHN (3 athletes)

Women's Marathon

:ETH (3 athletes)

:KEN (3 athletes)

:AUS (1 athlete)

:BRN (1 athlete)

:BLR (1 athlete)

:CAN (1 athlete)

:CHN (1 athlete)

:ITA (1 athlete)

:NAM (1 athlete)

Women's 20km Walk

:RUS (3 athletes)

:AUS (2 athletes)

:JPN (2 athletes)

:CHN (1 athlete)

:COL (1 athlete)

Just now, intoronto said:

Thanks a lot!

Standards are more than brutal.

Actually,standards are on the medal level and i mean olympic medal level. 2.33 in high jump. Really??? :lol:

13 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Thanks a lot!

Standards are more than brutal.

Actually,standards are on the medal level and i mean olympic medal level. 2.33 in high jump. Really??? :lol:

Yeah, only 11 athletes achieved that mark or higher in 2018.

The standards seem to be at least 1200 result score points.

57 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah, only 11 athletes achieved that mark or higher in 2018.

The standards seem to be at least 1200 result score points.

Wow, that overpass my expectations! Just 11. Could be even worse in other disciplines. :mumble:

Insane! This is inexplicable even for contemporary olympic tendencies. 

Up until 2020 athletics was among few sports with, in theory, unlimited number of participants. Every athlete with A standard could participate. This time we have limited number of participants. I know that this scenario isnt possible at all, but in that crazy case,what would happen if 40 athletes has standard but only 30 available places? 

27 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Wow, that overpass my expectations! Just 11. Could be even worse in other disciplines. :mumble:

Insane! This is inexplicable even for contemporary olympic tendencies. 

Up until 2020 athletics was among few sports with, in theory, unlimited number of participants. Every athlete with A standard could participate. This time we have limited number of participants. I know that this scenario isnt possible at all, but in that crazy case,what would happen if 40 athletes has standard but only 30 available places? 

That's the reason why the standards are so tough. However, it is possible we could see that scenario. In 2018, 28 eligible athletes reach the standard in Men's 100m while at the 2016 Olympics 24 nations chose to use their universality quota in the men's 100m. This would take up 52/56 quotas meaning there is a chance for the men's 100m to go over. The options would be to allow a larger field or kick out the slowest men whom reached the entry standard.

Though reading the documents the IAAF seems to be attempting to avoid this scenario by stating the highest ranked male and/or female athlete will be given the quota which could prevent some nations from just having the 100m as their default choice.

Edited by JoshMartini007