website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

OlympicIRL

22 minutes ago, O_faiax said:

Absolute nonsense. Maybe they think it would be easier for the women's 30 km to be competitive in 2024, since IOC wants full gender equality 

Then have a women's 30km instead of making the men victim of that too :facepalm: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Only if there's a certain numer of centimeters added. Nothing wrong with a 200,87 meters in my opinion.

If you want to be world record holder for 200.87 metres then I will change events and concentrate on the 200.88 metres

3 hours ago, dcro said:

We also need to replace 100 m with 34 m dash. I don't care for 3-digit distances.

Three digit distances and marathons are so 1896. I need you two to be more youthful and urban minded.

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Great idea! Let's also change the marathon to 5,36 kilometers, meaning I can finish a marathon :) 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 1 month later...

The IAAF Council has approved the qualification system and entry standards for the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.

OLYMPIC QUALIFICATION AND ENTRY STANDARDS

Athletes will have more opportunities to achieve the Olympic entry standards under the new system, which extends the qualification window by two months for most events. This will start on 1 May 2019 (instead of 1 July 2019), to include more international competitions such as the IAAF Diamond League, and end on 29 June 2020.

The qualification period for the marathon and 50km race walk will close at the end of May 2020 (instead of 29 June), to give the qualified athletes more time to prepare specifically for the Games.

After extensive consultation with key stakeholders, the Council has decided to introduce a dual qualification system, combining both the entry standards and the new World Ranking System, to determine which athletes are eligible for Olympic selection in 2020.

Under this new qualification process, an athlete can qualify for the 2020 Olympics in one of two ways:

• Achieve the entry standard within the respective qualification period

• Qualify by virtue of his/her IAAF World Ranking position in the selected event at the end of the respective qualification period.

The process is designed to achieve about 50 percent of the target numbers for each event through Entry Standards and the remaining 50 percent through the IAAF World Ranking System.

The IAAF consulted with the Competition, Athletes’ and Coaches’ Commissions prior to this decision and will continue working with the Athletes’ Commission, the Athletes Representatives (ARs) and the Member Federations (MFs) to ensure the qualification system is well understood. Workshops will be scheduled with athletes, ARs and MFs during this year.

Source: IAAF

https://www.iaaf.org/news/press-release/council-march-2019-olympic-qualification

So, from what I understand, qualification system in practice totally changed: now an athlete can achieve direct qualification through reaching A standard from the very first moment. Or did I get wrong?

Just now, AlFHg said:

So, from what I understand, qualification system in practice totally changed: now an athlete can achieve direct qualification through reaching A standard from the very first moment. Or did I get wrong?

Rather confusing but i thought that ranking has priority. So,entry standard should be important only for those who dont qualify via ranking. 36 places in,say 1500 m, will be divided like this - 18 via ranking,18 via standard.

Just now, ChandlerMne said:

Rather confusing but i thought that ranking has priority. So,entry standard should be important only for those who dont qualify via ranking. 36 places in,say 1500 m, will be divided like this - 18 via ranking,18 via standard.

I honestly think it is the opposite: I would say that once an athlete, especially a relatively top athlete, has secured an A standard, he/she will be able to plan better for the Olympics or any other event, while the ranking will be used for the mid/low athlete, probably with the hope of encouraging them to participate to more meetings (and so allowing IAAF to advertise them as a better tv product).

The priority will be

1) Athletes from NOCs with no qualified athletes

2) Athletes whom achieved the Entry Standards

3) Top athletes from the World Rankings up until the max quota is reached.

Hopefully all the non-qualified athlete NOCs don't all choose the 100m race.