website statistics

Wrestling UWW Asian Championships 2021

Totallympics

Entries for the Asian Championships starting from tomorrow

https://uww.org/article/asian-championship-april-13-18-entries

brackets are available for Greco-Roman and apparently all Chinese wrestlers withdrew ! they had some names in the entry list (all of them wrestled in the qualifiers in past 3 days)

Japan also pulled out of women's competition because of some coronavirus infection, women's competition will be very weak without these 2 powerhouses.

6 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Stuff I wonder about: Why is :SRI entering a competitor here but did not for the Olympic qualifier (not that they stood a chance). Makes you wonder if communication is a problem with the UWW

I had that question too but I probably know the answer :d

per rules only participating countries from the 2020 continental Champs were allowed to send wrestlers to the Olympic Qualifiers, (the same number they had in the Continental Ch) and Sri Lanka didn't send a wrestler to the 2020 Asian Champs in India.

but then Lebanon also didn't participate in that competition, yet their American wrestler was allowed to compete in the AQT. so I don't know :crazy:

good start for Iran at the star of the Greco-Roman competition

here are the finalists:

55: :JPN Shiotani vs :UZB Bakhromov

63: :KAZ Assetuly vs :IRI Dalkhani

77: :TJK Rezazade vs :IRI Poshtam

87: :IRI Alizadeh vs :KGZ Azisbekov

130: :KAZ Syzdykov vs :IRI Yousefi

China isn't here and some countries didn't send some of their best wrestlers, but the level is still OK, for Iran, this is not our Olympic team but they did good in the first day, Poshtam was almost dead against Gurpreet Singh of India but somehow survived the match for a 7-7 win. for Alizadeh this is his first ever international competition but since Nouri failed to qualify the weight 4 days ago he will have a chance (to go to Bulgaria) if he wins the gold here.

Iran finished the first day in Greco with 3 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze. Kazakhstan and Japan won the remaining gold medals.

a bit disappointed for Dalkhani's defeat, but Alizadeh did good and beat 3 future Olympians on his way to the gold. all 3 wrestlers he beat today had won the Olympic quota before. this is the only weight in men's wrestling that Iran failed to qualify (thanks to Mr Nouri and his mistake)

our coach made it clear that Nouri is out. we still have 3 other guys in this weight but I assume this kid Alizadeh now has the upper hand. I don't think he can qualify though but at least he is young and talented.

the 2nd day in Greco was totally different, both in term of results and the officiating, there is an unwritten rule in wrestling about not letting a country win more than certain number of gold medals and that rule was in full force today :thumbdown:

actually I was surprised with the level of officiating in Kazakhstan so far, specially during the Olympic qualifiers, not a single controversy, that's impossible in wrestling. looks like that was just an accident and they came back to their "normal" today. also I have to add that our wrestlers only have themselves to blame. despite all those bad calls, all 3 of them still could win their matches "easily"

finalists for the 2nd day:

60: :KAZ Sultangali vs :IRI Mohsennejad

67: :JPN Shimoyamada vs :KAZ Kebispayev

72: :KOR Ryu vs :KGZ Tsarev

82: :UZB Berdimuratov vs :KGZ Asykeev

97: :IRI Bali vs :KOR Kim

Iran is guaranteed the team title, still 2nd day was quite disappointing.

Greco-Roman medal table

:IRI 4-2-3

:KAZ 2-2-2

:JPN 2-0-3

:KOR 1-1-4

:UZB 1-1-1

:KGZ 0-3-5

:TJK 0-1-0

:TPE 0-0-1

-------------------

women's competition starts tomorrow. interestingly we have 7 or less wrestlers in all 10 weights, which means no joint bronze medalists at all !:facepalm:

10 hours ago, MHSN said:

there is an unwritten rule in wrestling about not letting a country win more than certain number of gold medals and that rule was in full force today :thumbdown:

Not only in wrestling, you can say that for many other sports. It has to be written somewhere, i've seen it way too many times. :d

Medalists from the first day of women's competition, only 1 bronze medal since we had less than 8 wrestlers in all events.

50: 1) :KAZ Islamova 2) :UZB Immaeva 3) :IND Seema

55: 1) :MGL Dulguun 2) :UZB Usmonjonova 3) :KAZ Ualishan

59: 1) :IND Sarita 2) :MGL Shoovdor 3) :KGZ Anarkulova

68: 1) :KGZ Zhumanazarova 2) :MGL Delgermaa 3) :KOR Jeong

76: 1) :KAZ Syzdykova 2) :KGZ Medet Kyzy 3) :IND Pooja

and without both China and Japan, Asia will have a new team champion in women's wrestling, Kazakhstan or Mongolia, or maybe India.