website statistics

Swimming at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

On 14/07/2021 at 16:09, rafalgorka said:

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/swimming/entries-by-event-women-s-200m-butterfly.htm

Only 17 entries in W 200 fly :-(

This is awful. Heats barely needed.

And that might as well be 16 entries because I think Hosszú will withdraw in 200 fly. Her choice to take this quota is controversial in Hungary because she took the opportunity from Zsuzsanna Jakabos and people know that Hosszú will most likely not compete in 200 fly as it's way too close to 200 IM. The only reason Hosszú took this quota from Jakabos is because she wanted a backup event in case 200 IM will be a disaster for her (I think there's a chance that Hosszú won't even be able to qualify for the 200 IM final and she knows it). 

Big joke from Poland..... Poland will probably lost 3-6 Swimmers (miss in FINA document). So we will gave up quota for mixed relays and women's 4x100 freestyle. Poland send 7 swimmers (only relays) and plus 6 with minimum B... (Chowaniec, Peda, Tchórz, Polańska, Kozakiewicz, Kraska). Poland probably will have a chance add 3 names (men's)  for  "team relays (and up 10 place" relays only"...)... Girls are in Tokyo... Shame.. 

2 hours ago, Adriano said:

Big joke from Poland..... Poland will probably lost 3-6 Swimmers (miss in FINA document). So we will gave up quota for mixed relays and women's 4x100 freestyle. Poland send 7 swimmers (only relays) and plus 6 with minimum B... (Chowaniec, Peda, Tchórz, Polańska, Kozakiewicz, Kraska). Poland probably will have a chance add 3 names (men's)  for  "team relays (and up 10 place" relays only"...)... Girls are in Tokyo... Shame.. 

This is a really awful story. And it may be heartbreak for some of our athletes who are already in Japan.

Looks like our incompetent National Swimming Federation made a huge mistake due to not knowing the rules for entry system in swimming correctly.

If I understand Polish media well today - Poland has qualified 5 relays, which let us send 10 additional swimmers who didn't have minimum A (OQT) as "relay-swimmers" only.

There were 7 swimmers like that in our team: Kornelia Fiedkiewicz, Dominika Kossakowska, Kacper Majchrzak, Jan Hołub, Karol Ostrowski, Bartosz Piszczerowicz, Kamil Sieradzki. And they are on the official entry lists now.

Then instead of choosing another 3 "relay-only swimmers" our federation for reasons unknown decided to try to entry another 7 swimmers with minimum B (OST) in individual events and planning that they will participate in relays, too.

They were: Kacper Stokowski, Jan Kozakiewicz, Jakub Kraska, Mateusz Chowaniec, Alicja Tchórz, Aleksandra Polańska, Paulina Peda.

But FINA obviously doesn't give invitatations for all the OST swimmers any NOC wants.

And only Kacper Stokowski got an invitation in 100 back.

So the other six are probably out - and they are already in Japan with our swimming team.

Polish federation falsely blames FINA now and hopes that maybe FINA will make some exceptions for at least 3 of them - so we could have those 10 relay-swimmers. But it means that 3 people would still be out. What a nightmare for them to go to the olympics and while being on spot get to know you can't compete due to some administrative error. It hardly can be anything worse than that for a sportsman.

I am extremely disappointed with our federation, it is not the first time for them, they made similar mistakes in Rio with Marcin Cieślak (who eventually didn't participate at all) and Konrad Czerniak (who swam 100 fly only, and couldn't swim 50 free).

I wonder how this story develops.

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

And that might as well be 16 entries because I think Hosszú will withdraw in 200 fly. Her choice to take this quota is controversial in Hungary because she took the opportunity from Zsuzsanna Jakabos and people know that Hosszú will most likely not compete in 200 fly as it's way too close to 200 IM. The only reason Hosszú took this quota from Jakabos is because she wanted a backup event in case 200 IM will be a disaster for her (I think there's a chance that Hosszú won't even be able to qualify for the 200 IM final and she knows it). 

So Honduras will get a full swimming introduction. Wow.

#banbestmen

Awful situation with the Polish relay teams but a similar thing happened with Ireland

They apparently didn’t understand the limit on relay only spots. Brendan Hyland is a butterfly swimmer and got a OST time invitation so he’s part of the 800 free relay along with backstroke (and now butterfly?!) Shane Ryan who hasn’t swam 200 free since he was 16

Would have been pretty embarrassing after the 400 medley relay debacle 

Swimswam article on the lower number of entries in some of the individual events: https://swimswam.com/only-17-swimmers-are-entered-in-the-womens-200-fly-for-tokyo-olympics578223-2/

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

14 hours ago, Vektor said:

How's Hosszu's form? I am a big fan of her but I don't read Hungarian so I cannot know much about her preparation

2 minutes ago, Mark Chan said:

How's Hosszu's form? I am a big fan of her but I don't read Hungarian so I cannot know much about her preparation

Not great, the COVID break was awful for her. All I am expecting from her is a medal in 400 IM, anything else would be a bonus. 

13 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Not great, the COVID break was awful for her. All I am expecting from her is a medal in 400 IM, anything else would be a bonus. 

Don't you think she could still challenge for gold in 400IM after that 4:34 swim at Europeans?