website statistics

How many medals do you expect from your Nation at the 2020 Olympics? (2021 "A" version)

23 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

That is some true optimism, I like it! You could work for Gracenote.

I predicted 2 medals in swimming (between Van Rouwendaal, Weertman and Kamminga) and 2 in athletics (between Hassan, Visser and Bol). I already considered those optimistic. Hassan feels especially unpredictable. Of course I hope she can repeat her Doha 2019 dominance, would be amazing for her.

Also a small nitpick, Bol will only run 400 m hurdles and 4x400 m in Tokyo, at least that was her position after the indoor season. And I'm not sure if Vetter is qualified, because she DNFed the Doha 2019 heptathlon. I think Götzis in May is her last shot.

I don’t know anything about the Dutch medal chances in new sports, but only looking at old sports, I could predict 61 medals for the Netherlands:

(Open water) Swimming: 6

Athletics: 8

Archery: 3

Boxing: 1

BMX: 2

Mountainbike: 1

Road cycling: 5

Track cycling: 7

Equestrian: 5

Field hockey: 2

Football: 1

Handball: 1

Artistic gymnastics: 2

Judo: 5

Rowing: 6

Sailing: 5

Water polo: 1

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I don’t know anything about the Dutch medal chances in new sports, but only looking at old sports, I could predict 61 medals for the Netherlands:

(Open water) Swimming: 6

6?  From whom?

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

It's always amusing to see the predictions in gymnastics. You guys quickly go from pondered and rational in other sports to completely out of your minds in gymnastics. I kind of love seeing it lol.

Well somebody predicted brazilian girls taking medals in the AA and Vault, though I highy doubt it.

I can see a medal or two at most for Brazil gymnastics but coming from the guys

2 hours ago, Braulio said:

Well somebody predicted brazilian girls taking medals in the AA and Vault, though I highy doubt it.

I can see a medal or two at most for Brazil gymnastics but coming from the guys

I mentioned that there's a chance for a medal in the All-Around, but that does not mean that one of the Brazilians is absolutely going to take it. You see, the thing with gymnastics is that you have to keep an eye on what everyone has been training and which upgrades they are planning. All-Around is a very open event, and seriously six or seven countries can achieve medals, including the US, Russia, China, Brazil, Japan, France and Great Britain.

Rebeca Andrade currently has the second highest difficulty on vault, only behind Biles, and her execution has been fantastic in training. Biles has a new, more difficult vault, and she's hands down the favorite for the gold medal. But Carey, Rebeca and Ellie Downie will have a great battle for silver and bronze. Of course we have vaulters like Shallon Olsen, Giulia Steingruber, Corine Devillard, Oksana Chusovitina and Alexa Moreno still going strong, but at this point, they are one step behind Biles and the other three I mentioned, both in difficulty and execution.

Now, predicting medals in men's gymnastics is a lot harder because there are many serious contenders. For example, most people who are hopeful for a medal in the horizontal bar for their fellow countrymen are probably not aware of what Uchimura and Miyachi have been training. On paper, their routines should easily give them gold and silver on this apparatus, especially because they'll receive slightly boosted scores thanks to home advantage. The same goes for Nina Derwael on the uneven bars, but Sunisa Lee now has an even more difficult and clean routine, which should put a hard fight against Derwael. It all comes down to how they will perform on that particular day, of course, but results from 2019 and especially 2018 should not be taken seriously when predicting medals in 2021.

:BRA

I have already posted my prediction here, but I decided to explain a little bit more

Archery - no chances

Artistic Swimming - no chances

Athletics - as usual, not too many chances on this sport. But, I am expecting a good performance from some of our athletes.

Mens 4x100m relay, mens shot put, mens 400m hurdles and women and men race walk 20km might be good opportunities to get a medal

Badminton - no chances

Baseball - no qualified

Basketball - probqbly we will not qualify

Beach Volleyball - always a good sport for us. Getting medal since Atlanta 1996, so I am expecting at least one. The best chance is Agatha and Duda.

Boxing - Bia Ferreira is favorite on her weight ( I cant remember right now haha )

Its not impossible to get more medals with other boxers

Canoeing - for sprint Isaquias Queiroz and Erlon de Souza. Two events for Isaquias, and I am hoping for two medals and at least one gold.

Slalom is a little bit more difficult, but Ana Satila may get a good result.

Cycling BMX - although I am not expecting a medal from here, our athletes are good and falls always can happen.

Cycling MTB - Henrique Avancini, our idol! Haha

Cycling Road - No qualified

Cycling Track - No qualified

Diving - no chances

Equestrian - Maybe Marlon Zanotelli on jumping

Fencing - Nathalie is the only chance here, and I am not too much confident.

Field Hockey - no qualified

Football - always a good chance. I am expecting at least one medal. And hoping for a good result from our womens team, now with Pia Sundhage as coach.

Golf - If qualifies, no chances

Artistic Gymnastic - I am counting with two medals. Arthur Zanetti, Artur Nory, Rebeca Andrade(if she qualifies) and Flavia Saraiva are the contenders for these medals

Rhythmic Gymnastic - no chances

Trampoline Gymnastic - if our girl qualifies, no chances

Handball - looking at our last results and the groups at Olympics, quaterfinals will be awesome

Judo - awful results lately, and without Rafaela Silva our chances get smaller. Only heavy weights and maybe the team competition

Karate - Vinicius Figueira is almost qualified and he is our best contender here. Valeria Kumkzaki is closer to get a spot as well, and she had good performance and results lately, and with much lucky Douglas Brose will get a spot.

Modern Pentathlon - no chances

Rowing - no chances

Rugby Sevens - no chances

Sailing - Robert Scheidt is going to his last Olympics, and I cant doubt from a multi medalist like him. 49erx and Nacra have good chances too

Shooting - on the last minute our medalist, Felipe Wu, in Rio qualified. I have contact with him, so I am sure that he is going to do everything for another medal. But the task is harder this time

Skateboarding - the best thing for Brazil haha many chances in all events. Women Street is possible we see a podium only with Brazil.

Softball - no qualified

Sport Climbing - no qualified

Surfing - Medina and Italo, we dont expect less than a gold. For women a medal would be great

Swimming - Bruno Fratus in 50m freestyle and Ana Marcela Cunha in marathon are the best chances. Any other medal will be a surprise

Table tennis - very hard, but not impossible for Calderano

Taekwondo - three athletes, and imo, three chances. But taekwond is very unpredictable.

Tennis - Marcelo Melo and Bruno Soares for doubles is our only realistic chance

Triathlon - our girls are in a amazing shape lately. Not impossible but very hard

Volleyball - mens team as always very strong. The womens decreased a lot since Rio

Water Polo - no qualified

Weightlifting - Fernando Reis may get it in heaviest weight

Wrestling - our girls are doing great. I am still expeting Giulia Penalber qualifies in last tournament. And maybe Kamila. Very hard get a medal here though

10 hours ago, Jinzha said:

That is some true optimism, I like it! You could work for Gracenote.

I predicted 2 medals in swimming (between Van Rouwendaal, Weertman and Kamminga) and 2 in athletics (between Hassan, Visser and Bol). I already considered those optimistic. Hassan feels especially unpredictable. Of course I hope she can repeat her Doha 2019 dominance, would be amazing for her.

Also a small nitpick, Bol will only run 400 m hurdles and 4x400 m in Tokyo, at least that was her position after the indoor season. And I'm not sure if Vetter is qualified, because she DNFed the Doha 2019 heptathlon. I think Götzis in May is her last shot.

Yes, right now Anouk Vetter is not qualified. Road To | World Athletics

1 hour ago, EselTheDonkey said:

Yes, right now Anouk Vetter is not qualified. Road To | World Athletics

Thanks! Since Vetter is not ranked at all, she will have to go straight for the qualifying score of 64xx in Götzis. If she's in good form and in a good place mentally, that could happen though.

Athletes who don't have enough results aren't listed at all, but that could change with only one more event. In the multi events, you only need two completed events to count for the rankings, and since the European Championships 2018 count, Vetter only needs one more result in Heptathlon and will be listed in the rankings again.