website statistics

How many medals do you expect from your Nation at the 2020 Olympics? (2021 "A" version)

It's hard to tell for us, I think we got many chances for both gold medals and medals in general, but we can always flop like in Beijing. We probably lost two gold medals with the one year delay as I can't see Hosszú winning in Tokyo anymore, but at the same time we got many talented young athletes who might have a better shot thanks to the delay. 

The minimum for us is 3 gold medals and 10 medals, but that would be a disappointment. So...

5-7 gold medals, 15-18 medals. That would be an okay Games and that's what I am expecting. But we can also have an amazing games with 10 gold medals and 25+ medals, for that everything would have to go perfectly. 

Kristóf Milák should win in swimming, we should have at least two gold medals in canoe sprint. Other than those two disciplines we got gold medal chances in shooting, sailing, water polo, wrestling and fencing. And maaaybe in athletics if a miracle happens in men's hammer throw. 

3 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

already 2 gold medals, men's handball and women's coxless four rowing insured for you

Women's four? Really? I could mention plenty of better gold chances (especially track cycling). We do have a shot at more than 2 gold, but we've been so used to getting 2.

I have made a post earlier in the Hungarian National Thread listing all the events where we have chances for medals, so I will copy it here in English. These are the events where I think we have at least an okay (50%) chance for a medal. We got some other, smaller chances, but I am not listing those. I am also not listing any events where we didn't qualify yet, so no judo, but we will probably have at least one or two chances there as well. I might also list pentathlon as an at least 50% chance later, depends on how the pentathlon World Cup and WCh will go for us. 

Athletics (1)

men's hammer throw

Canoe Sprint (7)

men's K1 1000m

women's K2 500m

women's C1 200m

women's K1 500m

men's K4 500m

women's C2 500m

women's K4 500m

Fencing (5)

men's individual sabre

men's individual epée

women's individual sabre

men's team sabre

women's team sabre

Sailing (1)

men's finn

Shooting (3)

men's 10m air rifle

men's 50m rifle 3 positions

mixed 10m rifle team

Swimming (7)

women's 400m individual medley

women's 400m freestyle

men's 200m butterfly

women's 200m individual medley

women's 200m butterfly

men's 100m butterfly

men's 10km open water

Water polo (2)

men's

women's

Wrestling (4)

men's GR 67kg

men's GR 77kg

men's GR 87kg

men's freestyle 65kg

If we win a medal in 50% of these, that would be 15 medals, which would be the same as in Rio for us. 

26 minutes ago, Illya said:

5-6 gold medals : Daria Bilodid (judo) , Anzhelika Terliuga (karate) , Yaroslava Mahuchikh (Gold medal + World Record) , Anastasiia Lysenko (weightlifting) and Oleksii Sereda (diving)

Ummm, not to burst your bubble, but i'm fairly certain that China is going to choose the 87+.  They are much more prone in the lighter women's weights, unlike the men and have it safer on the heavier ones.

I really hope we can reach the 25 medal record we set in Sydney 2000, considering the recent success in (track) cycling, sailing and rowing among others. That's probably optimistic, but over 20 medals should be a realistic goal.

I'll try a sport-by-sport overview with best and worst case guesses tonight. @CCB and @heywoodu will probably be able to correct me on many sports though.

3 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

I really hope we can reach the 25 medal record we set in Sydney 2000, considering the recent success in (track) cycling, sailing and rowing among others. That's probably optimistic, but over 20 medals should be a realistic goal.

I'll try a sport-by-sport overview with best and worst case guesses tonight. @CCB and @heywoodu will probably be able to correct me on many sports though.

When looking on a sport-by-sport basis, many of them will be sports I barely really follow :p Like rowing or sailing, and then there's sports like swimming where I do watch the big events but a lack of competition in general makes it harder to really predict something than in for example athletics :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Well for Romania realistic i expect 5-6 medals maybe 1-2 golds)

Rowing - we have the best chances to win some medals (2-3 medals) (1-2 golds)

Tennis - we have Simona Halep, women's doubles and mixed doubles 

Fencing - Ana Maria Popescu in women's epee

Shooting - Laura Coman

Wrestling - Alina Vuc

Gymnastics - If Larisa Iordache will qualify she will have a chance in women's all around and beam

Swimmining - Robert Glinta in 100 m backstroke

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

When looking on a sport-by-sport basis, many of them will be sports I barely really follow :p Like rowing or sailing, and then there's sports like swimming where I do watch the big events but a lack of competition in general makes it harder to really predict something than in for example athletics :d 

Same for me really, so we'll see how far we can get. Do you expect the 25 medals is achievable this summer?

I'm typing from my phone atm, so I'll start a detailed post when I'm on my laptop later.

4 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

Do you expect the 25 medals is achievable this summer?

I honestly have no idea...I didn't really take the time to look at it yet and one really needs to have a detailed sport-by-sport look to really get a sense of what's possible. There's zero sense in looking at results of previous Olympics for example :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!