website statistics

Rowing FISA European Championships 2021

Totallympics

I hope Greece can have a good championships. Would like to repeat the performance from last year where we won two medals.

Bourmpou/Kyridou already passed to Final A, did better than Spain in the heat so I think they're in a good position to win another medal. Romania and Great Britain will be tough though.

Kyridou 4th in her heat, but she was in the toughest semi. Might be fatigued from the Olympic qualification regatta.

I have high hopes for Ntouskos to do better than last year where he finished 5th, but I also hope he isn't tired from the Olympic qualification regatta.

Absolutely dominating performance from Ntouskos to win his heat. Thought it would be tough with Zeidler in his heat, but Ntouskos won by over 14 seconds! He had two races yesterday in the Olympic qualification regatta, so it was important for him to win this heat and avoid the repechage. I like his chances for a medal now. It’s a shame he said he might retire after Tokyo, he is only 24 and would be 27 in Paris. I think it would be a big loss for Greek rowing. Hopefully he decides to continue.

Tough luck for our women’s lightweight double. They were in a tough heat, with the three other boats all being already qualified for Tokyo (and yet our girls were still very close!). The other heats each only had one Tokyo-bound boat. I think they’ll still make the semifinals via the repechage. Will be tough to make Final A, but I think they’ll improve on their 9th place finish from last year.

Not much to say about our men's pair and men's lightweight double. They are young crews though (all six of our boats here are young).

A rough start for the Dutch rowers. In many classes, the British suddenly appear to have a faster boat. We will certainly not match the performances of the European Championship in Poland (2020).

My hopes for this European Championship (and for the Games) are the W4- (second time in the preliminary round), LW2x (sixth), M2x (fourth) and the M4x (first). And curious about our newcomer to the single scull, Finn Florijn. Son of two-time Olympic champion Ronald Florijn.

7 minutes ago, Werloc said:

I am really out of the loop with these various qualifications, does this event have any Olympic implications or is it just for the European Championship medals?

For the Ukrainian team, the composition for the World Qualification will be decided here. Crews need to get to final A

1 hour ago, CCB said:

A rough start for the Dutch rowers. In many classes, the British suddenly appear to have a faster boat. We will certainly not match the performances of the European Championship in Poland (2020).

My hopes for this European Championship (and for the Games) are the W4- (second time in the preliminary round), LW2x (sixth), M2x (fourth) and the M4x (first). And curious about our newcomer to the single scull, Finn Florijn. Son of two-time Olympic champion Ronald Florijn.

I'm terrible at remembering the different rowing classes, but I was surprised to see the W4x ('vrouwen dubbelvier') didn't reach the final. Wasn't that boat also a reigning European champion from last year? There was even a promo video on TeamNL's youtube with one of them yesterday.

There is also a daughter of Florijn in the W4- I think.

So all six Greek crews are still alive after today. I think it's safe to say our LM2X and M2- will be eliminated in the semifinals. Hoping our LW2X can sneak into Final A. They still have a chance to make it to the Olympics next month but it will be tough. The reallocated quota there could make a huge difference though.

I think Ntouskos (M1X) and Kyridou (W1X) will both make the finals, but I'm a bit worried about Kyridou especially after everything she went through this week (fell out of the boat in Olympic qualifying, then had to compete in repechage here).

Our W2- is already in the final and I'm hoping they can win another medal like they did last year. Both girls just only 20 years old, and they already each have 10 medals in big competitions (though only one at the senior level). Will be hard to see Romania not win gold, and the other big contenders seem to be Great Britain and Spain.