website statistics

Weightlifting AWF Asian Championships 2020

Totallympics

1 minute ago, MHSN said:

3 World Records for Li Wenwen and there is absolutely no doubt that she secures her Olympic spot with that performance.

Chinese coaches won't dare to drop her name, she is strong and can scream :d

Has the men's +109 kg competition started? Where can I watch it, please? 

Kashirina is the only one capable of really going toe-to-toe with Li I think or am I missing someone? (I know Kashirina won't be at the Olympics, so this seems like a skippable event there in terms of seeing any tension :p)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, MHSN said:

that's the last event of the competition. and will start in an hour.

and surely they will broadcast this one as well

https://www.facebook.com/iwfnet/live/

Thank you! :d

I'm kind of bored until the second day of the European Artistic Gymnastics Championships starts, but I guess both events will start right at the same time. I'll watch group B while I wait for the live events today. 

Not super impressed with the results here. Davoudi is in good shape, but he did merely enough to get the three gold medals. Still, I'd say he's the favorite for the silver medal at the Olympics, but I wouldn't be surprised if he bombs out. Man Asaad looks like he's at his limit, but you never know. He has pulled off huge surprises before. Toycyyev didn't even win a small medal here. I'm baffled.

The fact that Yang Zhe would have won a medal in the +109 kg event is mind blowing.

It's kind of sad that Minasyan, Lalayan, Aleksanyan, Turmanidze and Ziaziulin will not compete at the Olympics. The level will not be so high without them. Reis, Asaad and Bidani should be the ones who will fight for the bronze medal, and Toycyyev will have to improve considerably to be part of this conversation. 

35 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Not super impressed with the results here. Davoudi is in good shape, but he did merely enough to get the three gold medals. Still, I'd say he's the favorite for the silver medal at the Olympics, but I wouldn't be surprised if he bombs out. Man Asaad looks like he's at his limit, but you never know. He has pulled off huge surprises before. Toycyyev didn't even win a small medal here. I'm baffled.

The fact that Yang Zhe would have won a medal in the +109 kg event is mind blowing.

It's kind of sad that Minasyan, Lalayan, Aleksanyan, Turmanidze and Ziaziulin will not compete at the Olympics. The level will not be so high without them. Reis, Asaad and Bidani should be the ones who will fight for the bronze medal, and Toycyyev will have to improve considerably to be part of this conversation. 

Davoudi wasn't supposed to be in his best shape here. he had a minor knee injury 2 months ago (at least that's what they say) and he wasn't supposed to push too hard here.

he is kind of a choker, nothing is guaranteed with him but still it will be hard for him to not beat the rest (except Talakhadze and Minasyan if he participates which is a big if)

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

Davoudi wasn't supposed to be in his best shape here. he had a minor knee injury 2 months ago (at least that's what they say) and he wasn't supposed to push too hard here.

he is kind of a choker, nothing is guaranteed with him but still it will be hard for him to not beat the rest (except Talakhadze and Minasyan if he participates which is a big if)

Even though I wish Reis, Asaad, Bidani and Toycyyev could all have a shot at an Olympic medal, I also wish Minasyan somehow gets to compete. He's the only one who comes close to what Talakhadze lifts. We know there's no way Talakhadze can lose, but at least Minasyan brings a little bit of excitement to this category.

Now, if Minasyan doesn't compete, even though I'm Brazilian, I'm rooting for Asaad. He's the one with the best recent results in clean and jerk, if I'm not mistaken, so it could be his medal to lose, anyway. But he didn't look great here, while everyone else looks like they can improve substantially, so who knows?

It's too bad the World Championships will only be held in November. I wish all of the lifters from small nations could go head to head against one another before the Olympics.

35 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Even though I wish Reis, Asaad, Bidani and Toycyyev could all have a shot at an Olympic medal, I also wish Minasyan somehow gets to compete. He's the only one who comes close to what Talakhadze lifts. We know there's no way Talakhadze can lose, but at least Minasyan brings a little bit of excitement to this category.

Now, if Minasyan doesn't compete, even though I'm Brazilian, I'm rooting for Asaad. He's the one with the best recent results in clean and jerk, if I'm not mistaken, so it could be his medal to lose, anyway. But he didn't look great here, while everyone else looks like they can improve substantially, so who knows?

It's too bad the World Championships will only be held in November. I wish all of the lifters from small nations could go head to head against one another before the Olympics.

yes, I mean I obviously wish the best for our athletes, our weightlifting is in a bad situation and we badly need a good result in Tokyo. but on other hand as a sport fan it's just not fair for Minasyan. he did nothing wrong himself (at least not yet) and he deserves a chance to participate at the Olympics. but he can't do anything about it. it's Martirosyan (109kg guy) spot to lose. (which is not impossible anymore considering recent events)

Weightlifting is becoming even more predictable than Artistic Swimming :facepalm: in most weights lots of medal contenders can't participate. (some of them because of doping but some of them because of just some administrative mistakes) I already can predict China to win 8 gold medals, for the other Olympic Champions we have to wait to see the Chinese team. but TPE and GEO are guaranteed a gold. maybe QAT if Moradi doesn't make it. when we have the start list I believe I can easily predict 13 out 14 Olympic Champions. maybe only men's 109kg is a bit competitive.

7 minutes ago, MHSN said:

yes, I mean I obviously wish the best for our athletes, our weightlifting is in a bad situation and we badly need a good result in Tokyo. but on other hand as a sport fan it's just not fair for Minasyan. he did nothing wrong himself (at least not yet) and he deserves a chance to participate at the Olympics. but he can't do anything about it. it's Martirosyan (109kg guy) spot to lose. (which is not impossible anymore considering recent events)

Weightlifting is becoming even more predictable than Artistic Swimming :facepalm: in most weights lots of medal contenders can't participate. (some of them because of doping but some of them because of just some administrative mistakes) I already can predict China to win 8 gold medals, for the other Olympic Champions we have to wait to see the Chinese team. but TPE and GEO are guaranteed a gold. maybe QAT if Moradi doesn't make it. when we have the start list I believe I can easily predict 13 out 14 Olympic Champions. maybe only men's 109kg is a bit competitive.

As I've written before, this sport deserves this slap on the face. It's bad for the current lifters who are clean, but this should at least put some new perspective into the minds of the presidents of the national federations, and maybe they will think twice when they're faced with the possibility of supporting a tyrannical, corrupt president of an international federation.

Even though I'm writing this, I honestly believe very little will change, in the end. Take Brazil, for example: even after being accused of corruption, the president of the national federation has been reelected for another term. The state of weightlifting in Brazil is terrible. Fernando Reis only has decent results because he moved to the US and I think once he gets his green card, he will not represent Brazil in international competitions anymore. I can't blame him. I would do the same, if I were him.