website statistics

Weightlifting AWF Asian Championships 2020

Totallympics

37 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

I would give Chen Lijun pending card. He won over Huang Minhao but the weights lifted is not impressive. He needs to wait the results of other categories.

who picks up the attempts ? coaches or weightlifters themselves ? to me it looked like he had much more in tank, he just didn't have to lift more. I mean apparently he wasn't under pressure to lift more, he only had to beat Huang Minhao. at least that's how I could feel from the competition.

1 hour ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

@Vic Liu Is north korean boycott being considered while selecting the team? They havent told IOC officially right and it looks some of them are eligible with phase 3 event @MHSN

Of course it's one of factors to take into consideration. I thought once they missed the ACH they have no more chance to qualify in weightlifting even they attend some other sports finally. The North Korean absence will favor Zhang Wangli most, and Chen Lijun a little.

6 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Of course it's one of factors to take into consideration. I thought once they missed the ACH they have no more chance to qualify in weightlifting even they attend some other sports finally. The North Korean absence will favor Zhang Wangli most, and Chen Lijun a little.

But I found that all their medal prospects have 5 events with 1 each in 3 phase. They participated in WC in December in phase 3 so it says eligible in website. 

8 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

But I found that all their medal prospects have 5 events with 1 each in 3 phase. They participated in WC in December in phase 3 so it says eligible in website. 

I don't know that much about the weightlifting qualification process. I'm also confused about :INA Irawan's qualification and health condition. It's also a factor to consider. May @MHSN help answer these questions?

2 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

@Vic Liu Is north korean boycott being considered while selecting the team? They havent told IOC officially right and it looks some of them are eligible with phase 3 event @MHSN

per modified rules everybody has to participate in 6 events minimum (at least one in each phase) but one of them should be in the extended period (in 2021, the new period they added after the pandemic) there is just one global event left in Colombia but the registration deadline was long time ago. it's not like they can decide to participate tomorrow!

BUT with Oceania Championships being cancelled, IWF may change the rules a bit. they said they sent their proposal to IOC and we will know about that when IOC approves it. maybe (just maybe) they make some changes to lift that new rule. but personally I think they will just make some exceptions for Oceania athletes, and not for everybody. nothing is guaranteed after all.

10 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

I think they can. It's only 5 events required. And online event on 31st May is gold level event along with one in Saudi Arabia. 

No, the entry list for Colombia tournament are closed, there isn' t any online event and Saudi Arabia event.There is only the junior worlds at the end of May but only for under 20 (born from 2001)

12 minutes ago, Andry84 said:

No, the entry list for Colombia tournament are closed, there isn' t any online event and Saudi Arabia event.There is only the junior worlds at the end of May but only for under 20 (born from 2001)

OK wait maybe the pdf file I read was wrong 

Just now, Fly_like_a_don said:

OK wait maybe the pdf file I read was wrong 

check this, just one event left in Colombia

https://www.iwf.net/competitions/calendar/

and World Junior Champ won't make a difference, unless they let Oceania athletes lift alongside the competition, or something like that. (they did that before so not completely impossible)