website statistics

Rowing FISA European Olympic Games Qualifier 2021

Totallympics

16 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Great to see all of the Greek crews advancing, with M1X, W1X and LW2X all finishing in first place in their heats.

Unfortunately we can only send one boat from here as everyone knows. The rumor is that the federation decided LM2X has priority, then LW2X, then M1X, then W1X. Tough luck for 2020 European Championships bronze medalist Anneta Kyridou, but she's probably the most likely to qualify from the Final Qualification Regatta anyways.

Maybe they are banking on that? Though that's a risky game to play on an athlete with a chance (albeit a slight one) for an Olympic medal.

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

Unless I am mistaken, I think simply getting to the Final A isn't enough because we got over 10 nations qualified for the finals so far, so you will still have to beat one or two boats at the very least on Wednesday, depending on how the finals will go.

Qualified for three Final As: :GRE  :RUS

Qualified for two Final As: :SRB  :TUR  :UKR

Qualified for one Final A: :AUT  :FIN  :HUN  :LAT  :POR  :SWE

Will there be any restrictions on the Final Qualification Regatta? Because in Ukraine there are no quotas in stable strong 4x or 4x, and we hope to get these crews there.

29 minutes ago, Illya said:

Will there be any restrictions on the Final Qualification Regatta? Because in Ukraine there are no quotas in stable strong 4x or 4x, and we hope to get these crews there.

I think there are no restrictions, other than that every nation only can qualify one boat per event.

48 minutes ago, Illya said:

no restrictions on the final Qualification Regatta in Lucerne

2 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Maybe they are banking on that? Though that's a risky game to play on an athlete with a chance (albeit a slight one) for an Olympic medal.

She is currently bringing a lawsuit against the federation so they probably hate her anyways :(

I think the justification they had was that the lightweight double sculls have priority over single sculls because they have two athletes instead of one, and men's has priority over women's because we already qualified a women's crew for Tokyo. Probably they don't want to look bad because we sent 10 rowers to London and 10 to Rio, right now we only have 2 for Tokyo. 

Anneta Kyridou deserves it though. In 2019 she won gold in the women's double at the World U23, then her partner got injured last minute so she competed with an inexperienced alternate girl at the World Championships and didn't do well. Then she won gold in the single sculls at the European U23, before deciding to switch to the lightweight category even though the federation didn't support this decision and she had to pay for her own healthy meals at training camp, which her single mother who had cancer was paying for. Then she lost 10 kg but ended up fainting at a training camp and was neglected by team staff (part of why she is suing them), so she switched back to regular sculls instead of lightweight in the middle of summer 2020, defended her gold at the European U23 and then took bronze at the European Championships as a 21 year old.

It would be a crime if she doesn't go to Tokyo. She deserves it so much after all she has been through. I think she'll make it though the final regatta if needed, but yeah it is a risk. A risk for Ntouskos too. I think the quota will go to Anastasiadou/Fitsiou (LW2X), which would be nice for them but I don't think they have a chance to win a medal, whereas W1X and M1X we have young rowers that have decent chances to make Final A (and you never know, maybe win a surprise medal).

Anastasiadou was supposed to row with Nikolaidou which would've been a good team. Anastasiadou won gold at last year's European U23 in LW1X as an 18 yo, and Nikolaidou was 4th in Rio in W2X, also is the former world champion in LW1X and won other world silver medals in W2X and LW1X. Unfortunately she is injured which means Fitsiou gets the chance that she otherwise wouldn't have.