website statistics

Wrestling UWW African & Oceanian Olympic Games Qualifier 2021

Totallympics

32 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I just looked at the matches for tomorrow's women's freestyle.

The only event to have a bracket (-53kg) literally has the gold and silver medalists of the 2019 African Games AND the 2020 African Championships facing off in the first round.

Yeah Cameroon and Nigeria that's bad. Other half is weak including a Guam vs Madagascar Quarterfinals - a must watch match. I wish there was something like Marshall Islands and American Samoa in the half with the 2 winners meeting for olympic quota . But no such thing, a below average Tunisian gets the quota. 

Tomorrows prediction 

50kg - :EGY , :NGR

53kg -:TUN , :CMR:NGR (51:49)

57kg - :EGY :GUI

62kg - :NGR :TUN- both athlethes capable of Olympic Medal, Marwa trying for her 2nd Olympic medal at Tokyo. 

Outside chance for Cameroon :CMR

68kg - :NGR,  :SEN

Small Outside chance for Tunisia :TUN

76kg  - :EGY:TUN

Small chance for Ivory Coast too:CIV

Such a shame that Yvette Zie of Burkina Faso :BURisn't here, could have been an easy qualification. 

:MAR Morocco qualified at 77, at least we will have a 4th country winning a quota. the guy is old but that was a nice throw. and the officiating was one of the weirdest I ever seen. :TUN qualified too, so far the only mistake I had in my prediction :d

67 quotas will go to :TUN and :ALG unless some miracles happen in the last round.

here are the qualified wrestlers, assuming nothing crazy will happen in the last round of some weights with round robin format

it wasn't really hard to predict but I was correct 11 out of 12 :d

60: :ALG:EGY

67: :TUN:ALG (:EGY already qualified at the Worlds)

77: :MAR:TUN

87: :ALG:EGY

97: :ALG:TUN

130: :EGY  and the second quota will be decided between :TUN and :ALG (most probably TUN)

assuming TUN will win the last quota we have

4 :TUN 4 :ALG 3+1 :EGY:d

Morocco ruined the 4-4-4 party. but Egypt already had the 4th quota.

Tunisia won the last quota so in short

4 :ALG

4 :TUN

3 :EGY

1 :MAR

it's highly possible that we end up with 0 quotas for Oceania wrestlers, I wonder if that makes UWW to change the system for Paris ? the idea of merging these 2 continents were to give 5-6 quotas in total to Oceania. but now Africa is taking benefit of that.

I know this is essential to get other continents involved in the sport. most African countries only invest in the sport to qualify for the Olympics. but with only 16 quotas available for each weight maybe, just maybe it's time to make some changes. give 1 quota to each continent and put the rest in the world qualification tournaments. but that will decrease the number of countries in this sport at the Olympics. so ...

10 minutes ago, MHSN said:

give 1 quota to each continent and put the rest in the world qualification tournaments. but that will decrease the number of countries in this sport at the Olympics. so ...

Unless you cap the number of places a country might get at continental level to a maximum 2 like taekwondo does.

9 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Unless you cap the number of places a country might get at continental level to a maximum 2 like taekwondo does.

that's not a bad idea actually. putting a limitation on the number of wrestlers you can qualify in the continental OQT.

better countries still can have their chances to complete their teams in the last chance qualifier(s)

I like the qualification system in wrestling actually. simple and less complicated. but since it's just 16 per weight maybe some changes are necessary

Here’s what I propose as the qualification system under the current quota distribution, logistics, etc.

World Championships: 4 Quotas 

Continental OQT (preferably just using the Continental multi-sports games): 5 Quotas

World OQT Tournament 1: 4 Quotas

World OQT LCQ Tournament: 1 Quota

Best Ranked Non-Qualified Athlete: 1 Quota

Host Nation or Invitation: 1 Quota

The ranking would be based off a World Cup circuit, however if the UWW doesn’t have one, then it would be based off points gained at 6-8 tournaments identified by the UWW and denoted as ranking tournaments (would take place in the 2 seasons preceding the Olympics, and must be open to International participation (ie not continental or invitational)). The “Host Nation/Invitational” quota would work like this: for each discipline the Host Nations gets a maximum of 3 quotas, and a minimum of three remaining quotas go to the invitation criteria. Athletes would be eligible for invitation if they were from a tripartite eligible nation or the best ranked athlete from an unqualified NOC (IOC/UWW would decide which athletes to invite).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela