website statistics

Weightlifting EWF European Championships 2021

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, MHSN said:

it's really hard / almost impossible to analyze the current ranking, someone from the bottom of the list (with only 3 valid result) can move up the rank rapidly by a good 4th result. while most weightlifters already finished their 4th valid result and can only slightly improve their score. also most countries will have more quotas than they can, they have to pick some which will remove their other athletes from the other weights. I mean there are lots of variables.

but in short GBR has a good chance to win 3 quotas. I think all 3 of them (Davies or Smith at 64, Godley at 71 and Campbell at +87) will qualify at the end. but nothing is guaranteed for any of them.

I'm now asking the same question like Dragon, how many Polish athletes have chances to qualify, 1 or 2 or more? Łochowska already lost her decent place by not defending the title and being just 7th...

4 hours ago, rybak said:

I'm now asking the same question like Dragon, how many Polish athletes have chances to qualify, 1 or 2 or more? Łochowska already lost her decent place by not defending the title and being just 7th...

:d

rank in the competition doesn't matter here, records matter. I'm a bit lazy to calculate her and her appoints' ROBI points . but looking at the current ranking she is 17th, that sounds far from top 8 right ? but not really ! China has 4, remove 3 of them. Colombia and Romania are in verge of being banned completely. Russia has only 1 quota available, not sure if they use it here. same goes to Kazakhstan. she will be in top 10 with this and even for other countries you have to check their other weightlifters, they might have better WLers in other weights and not pick these girls after all.

so I say anybody in top 20 in the current ranking has a chance to qualify, good chance actually. but nothing is guaranteed, you are sure about the quota only if the athlete is in top 8, for the rest you have to consider so many variables.

I think she is the only Polish girl with a decent chance to qualify.

on the men's side Michalski has a good chance if he is here (is he?) and lift a decent weight. he may qualify even without lifting a thing. slim chance for Zwarycz but that mostly depends on other countries and how they select their teams. you have some other guys in the ranking but I think only these 3 has a realistic chance to qualify. I say Poland will qualify 1 or (most probably) 2 weightlifters for Tokyo

but I didn't check the start list, everybody should participate in this Euro to be eligible to qualify. this is a must. all weightlifters need to register in one competition in 2021 and for the European WLers this is the only chance (we have an event scheduled in Colombia too but I won't be surprised if they cancel it eventually)

PS: IWF claims they sent the modified qualification rules to IOC to be approved, it's possible to have some minor changes. (with huge affects)

This is the worst and most complicated qualification system ever :thumbdown:

34 minutes ago, MHSN said:

it's really hard / almost impossible to analyze the current ranking, someone from the bottom of the list (with only 3 valid result) can move up the rank rapidly by a good 4th result. while most weightlifters already finished their 4th valid result and can only slightly improve their score. also most countries will have more quotas than they can, they have to pick some which will remove their other athletes from the other weights. I mean there are lots of variables.

but in short GBR has a good chance to win 3 quotas. I think all 3 of them (Davies or Smith at 64, Godley at 71 and Campbell at +87) will qualify at the end. but nothing is guaranteed for any of them.

Thank you

40 minutes ago, MHSN said:

:d

rank in the competition doesn't matter here, records matter. I'm a bit lazy to calculate her and her appoints' ROBI points . but looking at the current ranking she is 17th, that sounds far from top 8 right ? but not really ! China has 4, remove 3 of them. Colombia and Romania are in verge of being banned completely. Russia has only 1 quota available, not sure if they use it here. same goes to Kazakhstan. she will be in top 10 with this and even for other countries you have to check their other weightlifters, they might have better WLers in other weights and not pick these girls after all.

so I say anybody in top 20 in the current ranking has a chance to qualify, good chance actually. but nothing is guaranteed, you are sure about the quota only if the athlete is in top 8, for the rest you have to consider so many variables.

I think she is the only Polish girl with a decent chance to qualify.

on the men's side Michalski has a good chance if he is here (is he?) and lift a decent weight. he may qualify even without lifting a thing. slim chance for Zwarycz but that mostly depends on other countries and how they select their teams. you have some other guys in the ranking but I think only these 3 has a realistic chance to qualify. I say Poland will qualify 1 or (most probably) 2 weightlifters for Tokyo

but I didn't check the start list, everybody should participate in this Euro to be eligible to qualify. this is a must. all weightlifters need to register in one competition in 2021 and for the European WLers this is the only chance (we have an event scheduled in Colombia too but I won't be surprised if they cancel it eventually)

PS: IWF claims they sent the modified qualification rules to IOC to be approved, it's possible to have some slim changes.

This is the worst and most complicated qualification system ever :thumbdown:

Thank you for good analys :)

Yes, Michalski will compete here, in 109kg, Zwarycz is here as well.

I'm hoping for those two quotas, it would be enough number considering fact that we don't have good juniors + doping problems before covid.

Weightlifting shouldn’t even have that complicated of a qualification system. Just leave a couple quotas available for the host country and universality, and then allocate the remaining bulk of quotas through a ranking of each lifters highest total weight lifted over the period of a year to two. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

About the tiebreakers: now I am noticing why the graphics seem to be wrong all the time...they are not only ignoring the B group, but also using body weight as tiebreakers :d 

For example after the women's 59kg snatch, this is the top-3:

1. Tchakounte (95kg, BW 58.66kg)

2. Kostova and Te (both 95kg, both BW 58.74kg)

Where an actual tie is of course by definition impossible if they actually use the lifting order, since nobody lifts at the same time :p 

Surely the lifting order is used in official results, but it's weird that the graphics use the old system :lol: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Weightlifting shouldn’t even have that complicated of a qualification system. Just leave a couple quotas available for the host country and universality, and then allocate the remaining bulk of quotas through a ranking of each lifters highest total weight lifted over the period of a year to two. 

Talking Olympic qualifying.

Does anyone know how many countries are affected by this qualifying rule?

We know Thailand, Egypt and Malaysia but the IWF website has not been updated since January so I guess there must be more?

"With reference to Article 12.6 IWF ADP, should two or more Athletes or other Persons affiliated to an
IWF MF/NOC be found to have committed a violation of the IWF ADP giving rise to a period of
ineligibility of four years or more on the occasion and during the In-Competition period of the Olympic
Games Tokyo 2020 (including following further analyses of samples), the concerned MF/NOC shall
be automatically prevented from recommending, entering and/or proposing affiliated Athletes or other
Persons for participation in the next ensuing Olympic Games following the final decision imposing the
(first two) relevant sanctions (and shall take all necessary measures to prevent such participation),
without prejudice to any other sanction that may be imposed in accordance with the IWF ADP."

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

Talking Olympic qualifying.

Does anyone know how many countries are affected by this qualifying rule?

We know Thailand, Egypt and Malaysia but the IWF website has not been updated since January so I guess there must be more?

"With reference to Article 12.6 IWF ADP, should two or more Athletes or other Persons affiliated to an
IWF MF/NOC be found to have committed a violation of the IWF ADP giving rise to a period of
ineligibility of four years or more on the occasion and during the In-Competition period of the Olympic
Games Tokyo 2020 (including following further analyses of samples), the concerned MF/NOC shall
be automatically prevented from recommending, entering and/or proposing affiliated Athletes or other
Persons for participation in the next ensuing Olympic Games following the final decision imposing the
(first two) relevant sanctions (and shall take all necessary measures to prevent such participation),
without prejudice to any other sanction that may be imposed in accordance with the IWF ADP."

This is the current list

https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2021/01/Number-of-ADRV_06012021.pdf

but as I said Romania and Colombia has 3 cases already, for Romania it's almost a sure thing, Colombia still has chance to somehow survive

12 minutes ago, MHSN said:

This is the current list

https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2021/01/Number-of-ADRV_06012021.pdf

but as I said Romania and Colombia has 3 cases already, for Romania it's almost a sure thing, Colombia still has chance to somehow survive

I am wondering where is China. I remember they had more than 10 cases some time last year....

14 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

I am wondering where is China. I remember they had more than 10 cases some time last year....

nope, they never had.

they had 3 from 2008 Olympics and served one year suspension because of that few years ago. 2017 if I'm not wrong