website statistics

Weightlifting EWF European Championships 2021

Totallympics

It’s ridiculous that bodyweight isn’t the tiebreaker in my opinion. Hopefully that’s one of the reforms that the IWF will make in the future. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I could be wrong, but I thought there used to be (perhaps still is) a rule that the first lifter to lift the weight held the tie break.

Thank you. Somehow, I failed to realize how weird the rules are for such a simple sport. It's like they were bored with the way things were and decided to change everything based on arbitrary decisions.

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

btw the fact that this Bulgarian kid can't qualify for the Olympics just shows how terrible is this system. it closed the door for any young talent because you had to collect points from 2018! how old he was when the qualification period started?

I wonder why some federations act like this. Stupid rules that prevent the best athletes from competing should not exist. Period. It's pretty much like artistic gymnastics where we'll have a very limited girl from Singapore competing at the Olympics, while extra gymnasts from Ukraine, Brazil and Australia will have to stay home, even though their level is miles ahead of what the Singaporean girl can reach. At this point, in artistic gymnastics I don't feel like the best will compete at the Olympics, but instead we'll see lots of smaller nations with very poor displays of gymnastics simply because the IOC wants "diversity". I'm all in for diversity, but if a gymnast can't reach a bare minimum level compared to the top guns, so leave this person home.

5 hours ago, MHSN said:

btw the fact that this Bulgarian kid can't qualify for the Olympics just shows how terrible is this system. it closed the door for any young talent because you had to collect points from 2018! how old he was when the qualification period started?

He was only 14 in 2018, so very, very early to compete amongst the men. But still, this doesn't exclude how absolutely awful the qualification system has been in this sport.

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s ridiculous that bodyweight isn’t the tiebreaker in my opinion. Hopefully that’s one of the reforms that the IWF will make in the future. 

I think that the new system is better. All athletes are really close to the limit weight, so we are only speaking about a few gramms which doesn`t really matter for the performance.

On the other hand an athlete has a huge disadvantage if he has to decide first on the next weight and the second athlete only has to wait and decide afterwards. So it is only fair to give the first to decide this advantage.

I think @Mecki83 is right, I also never heard any complain about this rule from the WL community. it seems everybody likes it and nobody is going to change it.

it makes sense actually, before 2005 it was minimum 2.5kg between your 3 attempts. which was a relatively big jump, now it's just 1kg. if your rival lifted 200kg, just go and beat him by 1kg more. if you lift the same number "after him" you probably don't deserve to rank higher than him.

Did Strenius really just miss the Olympics because her coaches decided to have 135kg as second CJ attempt instead of 131kg (which she might have made and which would have been enough)? :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

21 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Did Strenius really just miss the Olympics because her coaches decided to have 135kg as second CJ attempt instead of 131kg (which she might have made and which would have been enough)? :yikes: 

this is probably nonsense, I can say 100% nonsense, the Olympic Ranking is way too much complicated , so many variables, nobody can calculate points like that especially before the other continental championships, and 4kg more or less won't make a huge different. she will probably qualify even without her results from this competition.

1 minute ago, MHSN said:

this is probably nonsense, I can say 100% nonsense, the Olympic Ranking is way too much complicated , so many variables, nobody can calculate points like that especially before the other continental championships, and 4kg more or less won't make a huge different. she will probably qualify even without her results from this competition.

Right, somehow I had a feeling already that the British Eurosport commentator (Michaela Breeze) might not be entirely right... :p 

She's getting a little annoying anyway, I didn't see a single Russian lifter yet which was not accompanied by her saying something about Russia's doping past. If that's about one of the many medalists who actually served a doping ban, sure, but literally everyone? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Damn it, with "help" from judges Michalski finished without medal despite lifted 226kg in CJ :mad: At least Kasabijew have a small silver medal. But still those championships are pathetic for us, without medals in total, just third time in history of European Champs....

Anyway I hope that Michalski's 396kg in total will be enough for Olympics, what do you think @MHSN?