website statistics

Wrestling UWW Asian Olympic Games Qualifier 2021

Totallympics

3 minutes ago, sameerph said:

Do you reckon any of the Indians having a chance to qualify in Greco Roman ?

most of them have a chance, I mean as far as I know none of them are "weak" but none of them is the #1 favorite which means they need a bit of luck with the draw. it depends on the competition day, in Greco sometimes it's just about one moment and one mistake (unlike freestyle when you have the entire 6 minutes to make up for that mistake)

I believe your best chance is at 87 and then 77. but for example I don't think Gurpreet Singh can beat the great Kim Hyeon-woo, so he needs a bit of luck to avoid Kim before the final. your 60kg is a tough guy but he has to beat one of those "better guys" to qualify. but since this is just one match nothing is impossible specially if he gets China.

considering everything I expect India to qualify 0-2. so let's say at least 1

7 hours ago, MHSN said:

most of them have a chance, I mean as far as I know none of them are "weak" but none of them is the #1 favorite which means they need a bit of luck with the draw. it depends on the competition day, in Greco sometimes it's just about one moment and one mistake (unlike freestyle when you have the entire 6 minutes to make up for that mistake)

I believe your best chance is at 87 and then 77. but for example I don't think Gurpreet Singh can beat the great Kim Hyeon-woo, so he needs a bit of luck to avoid Kim before the final. your 60kg is a tough guy but he has to beat one of those "better guys" to qualify. but since this is just one match nothing is impossible specially if he gets China.

considering everything I expect India to qualify 0-2. so let's say at least 1

Thanks. Hope we get 2-3 Indians thru to olympics in Greco from here and the final qualifation tournament. We need some momentum to build up in Greco to get someone good at world level. We have a good guy, Sajjan who has won medals in 3 junior world championships . But, looks like he is taking some time in transitioning to seniors.

On 31/03/2021 at 10:37, Fly_like_a_don said:

Womens events prediction 

50kg : Jpn, Ind 

Outside chance for Mongolia 

53kg : Kaz, Mgl 

57kg : Kaz,  Ind 

Good chance for Mgl 

62kg : China ,Ind

With referees help Kazakhstan 

Good chance for Mgl too. 

68kg : Kgz, China

Outside chance for India ,Kaz

76kg : Kgz, Mgl

Outside chance for India 

I was suprised that we do not have divya kakran in 68 ........ She would have been a favourite ......

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

22 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

I was suprised that we do not have divya kakran in 68 ........ She would have been a favourite ......

I know . That's why they say mental health is important and she has lost it after covid infection along with physical strength. 

I'm waiting for the brackets , I believe we will have them in an hour but the UWW website indirectly announced the seeded wrestlers,

the start list is slightly different than the previous one, for example the other Russian wrestler of Bahrain is back and he will be the top seed at 65kg. those numbers is the final number of wrestlers per each weight.

huge huge surprise that 40 years old :KAZ Georgiy Tsurtsumia is back ! he is a 2004 Olympic silver medalist he was inactive since 2008 :hairpull::yikes:

57 (9): :KGZ Myrzanazar uulu :CHN Liu

65 (10): :BRN Ali

74 (12): :KOR Lee :TJK Sharipov

86 (10): :JPN Takatani :KAZ Dauletbekov

97 (10): :UZB Ibragimov :IND Kadian

125 (11): :KAZ Batirmurzaev :KGZ Lazarev

60 (9): :CHN Walihan :KGZ Sharshenbekov

67 (13): :KOR Ryu :IND Ashu

77 (9):  no seeded wrestler

87 (8): :IND Sunil

97 (9): :IRI Saravi :JPN Nara

130 (7): :KOR Kim :UZB Abdullaev

50 (5): Round Robin

53 (6): :KAZ Amanzhol :UZB Keunimjaeva

57 (6): :IND Anshu

62 (7): :KAZ Kassymova :IND Sonam

68 (6): :CHN Zhou

76 (5): Round Robin

* in two weights with 5 wrestlers it will be round robin, the seeding doesn't matter. in 5 other events we have 6 or 7 wrestlers, which means 2 groups of 3 or 4. top 2 will be separated at least for the group round.

I can't remember the last time we were "this" lucky with the draw. or maybe one of our guys hacked the draw software this time :d if Kazakhstan had this draw I would say this is fixed for sure :d:d all of our 6 wrestlers won't face their main rivals before the final. unbelievable ! :yikes:

I will start with Greco

60:

China already has the quota in the top half, maybe only that Mongolian kid can do something. the bottom half is a little more interesting, Sharshenbekov is huge favorite but Korea and maybe India won't be easy for him. I don't know this Korean guy, he is new to me but they are always good in this lower weights.  :CHN and :KGZ are easy picks here

67:

top half is much much harder, with Ryu, Shermakhanbet , Vardanyan + JPN and KGZ. I pick Ryu since he is already in the semifinal.

dream draw for Geraei! out of 6 guys "capable" of beating him 5 of them are in the top half! India has to be in the bottom half because of the seeding, I believe his biggest opponent is from China. and Geraei only has to beat the winner of CHN/IND! I say :KOR and :IRI

77:

the great Kim Hyeon-woo is the main favorite and I think he will qualify from the top half but he got the toughest possible opponents here, Gurpreet from India and then Makhmudov (KGZ) who beat Kim at the Asian Games. I still think Kim survives this. the bottom half will be a direct match between China and Japan. really hard for me to pick between these guys but since the Chinese guy is new to this weight I say :KOR and :JPN

87:

Sunil is already in the semifinal to face the winner of KAZ and JPN. I think these 3 guys are more or less in the same level. in a neutral country I would say India but to beat Kazakhstan in Kazakhstan you have to work a lot to beat the refs too! the bottom half looks good for our Nouri. he will face the winner of CHN/KOR in the semifinal. that won't be easy but still I expect Nouri to beat any of these guys relatively easily. so :KAZ and :IRI

97:

things are not very easy for the Asian Champion Saravi , he has to beat Uzbekistan and China to qualify but he will do that if nothing crazy happens. still he has to be careful. the bottom half looks more complicated with 4 or 5 wrestlers in the same level. while Kazakhstan will do its normal magic with the refs I expect that Kyrgyz kid to qualify. :IRI and :KGZ

130:

this one is more competitive than other weight, 7 wrestlers more or less in the same level. two groups. I think Abdullaev will advance from Group A, hard to pick the 2nd guy. group B will be closer , I don't know how good is the grandpa Tsurtsumia. he used to be very good but he is 40 ! I have a bold prediction here, wants to give it to China. but south Korea is a former bronze medalist. I say :UZB and :CHN but as I said all of these 7 guys are capable of wining the quota.

Time for freestyle

57:

I believe the two biggest names are both in the bottom half, Higuchi (JPN) and Mongolia. the bottom half looks harder in general with Liu (CHN) and that guy from Tajikistan. still I believe the winner of JPN/MGL match will qualify. the top half will be between KGZ, KOR and UZB, Uzbekistan is bringing a new guy who was impressive in Ukraine. I say :UZB and :JPN

65:

out of 3 "better" wrestlers here, two of them are in the top half. I think Bekbulatov will qualify easily from the bottom half. he is a former European champion from Russia. in top half our Yazdani will most probably face the Russian guy of Bahrain in the semis. while this guy had some good results I think the Yazdani junior can beat him. so :IRI and :UZB

74:

Abdurakhmonov has to deal with 3 good wrestlers to qualify from the top half, I think he will. we have more wrestlers in the bottom half but I think at the end it will come to Iran and India wrestling in the semifinal. the Indian guy is new and I'm not really familiar with him, but he beat some good guys in the Indian trials so is dangerous for sure, still Emami is a world bronze medalist (he is new to this weight though) , still :UZB and :IRI

86:

top half looks competitive with 4 good wrestlers, I think Takatani will qualify but all 3 other guys had some good results before. won't be easy at all. I see 4 wrestlers with a chance in the bottom half, KAZ, KOR, UZB and LBN. this guy from Lebanon (he is American in fact) left the LBN wrestling team when they forced him to withdraw against Israel, now he is back! but I assume he didn't train well recently. have a hard time to pick between UZB and KAZ here but since KAZ is the host so I think :JPN and :KAZ

97:

top half looks easy for the Olympic bronze medalist, Ibragimov should qualify easily.  bottom half is crowded but still Mohammadin usually techs these kind of wrestlers (techs = 10-0 win) that Korean guy had a good run at the worlds in 2019 and I know MGL is strong but still people expect Mohammadian to challenge the great Sadulaev, this should be easy for him. :UZB and :IRI

125:

again 4 "good" wrestlers in the top half, I was impressed by this Kazakhstani wrestler before. so I pick him for the top half. even though nothing is guaranteed. the bottom half is between MGL and KGZ and maybe JPN. I say :KAZ and :MGL

Uzbekistan is favorite to win 4 quotas (65, 74 and 97 are almost guaranteed to me) they have a good chance at 86kg and their 125kg is not that bad. it's possible if they qualify all 6 weights on Sunday.