website statistics

Figure Skating ISU World Championships 2021

Totallympics

36 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:
  • From my calculations, the Men's Nebelhorn Trophy will be a mess, as :USA:RUS:CAN:FRA:KOR all have the right to enter a skater there. But, since two skaters qualified for the free skate but only earned one quota, there will be 7 spots available at Nebelhorn instead of 6. So it'll basically be the entire world's second-tier skaters fighting for two quota spots :wacko: 
  • Same with pairs as :CHN will definitely claim one of the 3 quotas, but I'm not sure if :JPN (also eligible) has another pair.
  • The women's will be much better though as while the :USA is a sure quota :AUT and :BEL don't have anyone else who would reach the WCH free skate regularly, so that'll be the world fighting for 5 spots. 

I am pretty sure Japan do not have a second pair so good news.

18 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Indeed a huge mess with the qualification system. :facepalm:

Donovan Carrillo is saying the cut ofr Beijing was place 19th, so he missed out.

I don’t see how that’s possible, unless the quotas for the likes of USA, RUS, KOR, etc. are “reserved”, and then reallocated it not obtained. I guess that could be how the ISU interprets their document.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

I don’t see how that’s possible, unless the quotas for the likes of USA, RUS, KOR, etc. are “reserved”, and then reallocated it not obtained. I guess that could be how the ISU interprets their document.

Yeah probably that's how they're missinterpreting their own rules. Sad

3. Twenty-four (24) entries for Ladies and Men, sixteen (16) entries for Pairs and nineteen (19) entries for Ice Dance will be determined according to the classification outlined in paragraph 2 above. ISU Members who have earned the necessary points according to Rule 378, paragraph 2b) and c) will have the right for two (2) or three (3) entries if, in addition, they had two (2), respectively three (3) Skaters/Pairs/Couples qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance in the World Senior Championships immediately preceding the OWG. The remaining entries under this paragraph 3 will be attributed to the ISU Members with the best placed and qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance Skaters at the World Senior Championships immediately preceding the OWG.

4. The remaining open entries available will be filled by ISU Members in order of their placements at a Senior International Competition designated by the ISU and conducted in the autumn of the calendar year immediately preceding the Olympic Winter Games. The open entries are available only to: a) ISU Members which have not previously earned an entry, for only one entry per such ISU Member. b) ISU Members which have earned the necessary points for two (2) or three (3) entries but did not have two (2) respectively three (3) Skaters qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance at the World Senior Championships immediately preceding the OWG. Such ISU Members are entitled to enter one Skater in the qualifying event who, however, cannot be a Skater that had qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance at the World Senior 30 Championships immediately preceding the OWG.

I don't know about you all but this seems to obviously say to me that 24/16/19 entries will be given out at the World Championships and are not 'reserved' for the Nebelhorn trophy.

If not then both :CZE Brezinova and our pairs team miss out...

Just now, ahjfcshfghb said:

I don't know about you all but this seems to obviously say that 24/16/19 entries will be given out at the World Championships and are not 'reserved' for the Nebelhorn trophy.

What I’m suggesting/theorizing, is those countries have been awarded the quotas via the world championships. They already have the quota, but it has to be confirmed at the Nebelhorn. This would mean that the Nebelhorn would award quotas to the best 6 unqualified NOCs, and the confirm the quotas for countries who finish where they need to in order to qualify. If any those countries fail to finish wherever needed, then that country loses a quota, and it gets reallocated to the next best unqualified NOC.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

What I’m suggesting/theorizing, is those countries have been awarded the quotas via the world championships. They already have the quota, but it has to be confirmed at the Nebelhorn. This would mean that the Nebelhorn would award quotas to the best 6 unqualified NOCs, and the confirm the quotas for countries who finish where they need to in order to qualify. If any those countries fail to finish wherever needed, then that country loses a quota, and it gets reallocated to the next best unqualified NOC.

It's not a bad theory but just reading the paragraph it's quite a stretch. "ISU Members who have earned the necessary points according to Rule 378, paragraph 2b) and c) will have the right for two (2) or three (3) entries if, in addition, they had two (2), respectively three (3) Skaters/Pairs/Couples qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance in the World Senior Championships immediately preceding the OWG."

This all boils down to the ISU writing a poorly worded and unnecessarily complicated qualification system. The ISU routinely has some of the most complicated and difficult to understand qualification systems.

8 hours ago, Dennis said:

Figure skating is the only sport for which the Dutch NOC has not published their internal selection criteria yet.

There's a very realistic chance they won't accept the quota yet though, as the philosophy is that every athlete that will go to Beijing has to prove that they have a realistic chance of finishing top 8 in Beijing. I don't think a top 16 here is sufficient. :wall:

She should just get Belgian citizenship, qualify the extra spot for them and compete.

The Dutch NOC legitimately seems to be one of the worst NOC to represent, tbh. The internal qualification criteria tend to be insane.

3 minutes ago, NearPup said:

The Dutch NOC legitimately seems to be one of the worst NOC to represent, tbh. The internal qualification criteria tend to be insane.

Their website also leaves quite a bit to desire. I couldn’t any useful information regarding their selection polices on there.