website statistics

Figure Skating ISU World Championships 2021

Totallympics

OQ simulation after the ladies short program...

:JPN:RUS:KOR:USA 3

:BEL:CAN 2

:AUT:AZE:FIN:SWE:BUL:GEO:EST:GER 1

A convenient outcome for some of these nations, but I suspect that KOR, BEL, CAN can still drop a place.

Trusova for example is truly favored in a free skate scoring system, so you'd expect her to leap far above some of these...

#banbestmen

Quick and dirty OG simulation after the ladies short:

3 spots:

:JPN

:RUS

2 spots:

:KOR*

:USA*

1 spot:

:CAN*

:BEL*

:AUT

:AZE

:FIN

:SWE

:BUL

:GEO

:EST

:GER

:CZE

:CHN

:GBR

:NED

* countries that have the chance to qualify an additional spot at the Nebelhorn Trophy

It appears that every country that qualified a skater for the long program got a spot, the question is will something weird happen near the top to allow a country that didn't qualify for the long program to get a quota.

It will be pretty hard to qualify out of Nebelhorn with the USA, South Korea and potentially Canada all trying to grab an extra spot, along with France who still hasn't qualified.

5 minutes ago, dcro said:

Interesting. Did not realize they finally changed the system which allowed one athlete to earn more than one place.

Ya, it sure took them long enough too. You now can't earn two or three spots from worlds without having qualified two or three athletes / pairs to the free skate. However, if you lose any quotas due to that rule you are allowed to attempt to qualify those spots at Nebelhorn.

This rule change actually makes worlds much more important for smaller nations since it is now easier to qualify a single quota spot from worlds and harder to qualify from Neberlhorn. Pairs in particular is going to be a bloodbath...

I’m not sure what the Dutch requirements are in figure skating, but I would assume that :NED van Zundert’s in danger of her quota place being refused by the NOC and eventually reallocated.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m not sure what the Dutch requirements are in figure skating, but I would assume that :NED van Zundert’s in danger of her quota place being refused by the NOC and eventually reallocated.

Which would be a great shame, since they have not had a figure skater since 1976...

#banbestmen