website statistics

Archery WAA American Championships 2021

Totallympics

Well, since no one else comments on the results of the Championship proper, I'll do a quick review of the Qualification tournament, and my picks for the 3 quotas per gender.

Women's Draw

QF1: :BRA Dos Santos is probably the strongest shooter of the tournament and it will be a big surprise if she doesn't get the quota. Sadly for Argentina, their biggest chance for a spot (Leithold) is in this same key and had a little dissapointing performance today, but she can hope to the best loser amongst quarterfinalists, if only Brazilians and Canadians go into semifinals.

QF2: The spot in the semis should be contested between :BRA Canetta and :CUB Rodriguez, the later being her country's best hope to be in Tokyo.

QF3: On paper this is the weakest part of the draw, as none of the competitors has big results at the international stage. :CAN Edwards is on paper the top seeded competitor; if she avoids an upset from her rivals, particularly the Dominican Jerez, then her country will 99.9% compete in mixed doubles at the Olympics. 

QF4: Canadian Barret has shown good form all week and will either face her countrywoman Chenier or Brazil's Machado for a spot in semis, that will mostly go to her.

Qualifying NOC's: 1) :CAN  2) :BRA  3) :CUB

Outside chance:  :ARG  :DOM

Men's Draw

QF1: This section will be a bloodbath with some regrettable casualties. :CHI has all his archers in this key and either Aguilar or Soto should advance to semis. However, :ARG Jajarabilla is a dark horse if he repeats today's performance at the main tournament.

QF2: This could be the best chance for :MEX archers to get their pride back after 3 or so years of mediocre performances, but unfortunately I don't think it will be the case. Either :COL Pila or :CUB Franco are most likely to get their mind focused and go into semifinals.

QF3: Very interesting draw here. Cuba's Stevens is way past his prime as so is Mexican Álvarez, but given their performances so far, the later should face another Cuban (Puentes) to decide who completes the last 4.

QF4: Not surprisingly :COL has two archers in this section and should be considered favorite to advance; :ISV D'Anour however could still have some powder in store and finish ahed both of them like in today's direct elimination rounds and give his NOC their first ticket to Tokyo.

Qualifying NOC's: 1) :CHI 2) :COL 3) :ISV

Outside chance:  :CUB :ARG  :MEX 

3 hours ago, dcro said:

Archery is the only sport who got this mixed thing right - allow every nation with enough athletes to take part.

I'm disappointed that table tennis, for example, does not allow that.

Yeah when I saw the rules it sounded ridiculous like there are a lot of deserving pairs who miss out on tt. I'd be the first to point it had India lost to Korea in the qualifier despite beating them in Asiad and later winning bronze since their ranking wasn't good but they hadn't practiced  much together before in earlier tournaments also if they lost here it was it their . End of Olympic Dreams. If they don't be fluke and play to the best they are a top 4 pairing for Olympics. 

Archery can have as many mixed team participants as they want because in the end it won't add any more time to the schedule. Only the top 16 from the qualification round advance to the actual tournament.

For table tennis, additional matches would have to be played.

29 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Archery can have as many mixed team participants as they want because in the end it won't add any more time to the schedule. Only the top 16 from the qualification round advance to the actual tournament.

For table tennis, additional matches would have to be played.

Which should never be a problem for table tennis. Their singles draws are as uneven as it gets.

#banbestmen

Well, biggest suprise of the day is :ECU José Alvarez Muñoz going into QF @hckošice

It will be an interesting match between him and always unpredictable Luis Álvarez.

Though luck for Argentina @konig, as Jajarabilla fought well but in the end Soto's experience gave him the win. Still, I think this guy might be one to follow in coming years.