website statistics

[POLL] How were the Winter Olympic Games 2018 for you?

How were the Winter Olympic Games 2018 for you?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How were the Winter Olympic Games 2018 for you?

I did not even manage to watch half the events I intended to ( did not even manage to watch Hockey and Curling medal games :( ) So i just say that as a country this were amongst the weakest Olympic Games for Poland ever :( Only Ski Jumpers got medal, only Biathlonists were entertainment :wacko:

Awful results for a  nation with 40 million inhabitants :wall:

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

There was a lot bad and good things at these Olympics. So I am not sure about the grade, but there was some interesting things for me:

• North Korea participating at the games - very nice.
  • New technologies in the replay (Ice hockey, figure skating) - not all of them was useful, but it is good that Korea tried to use something new.
  • Competitions without disruptions, everything was according to plans, good organization.
  • The most shameful thing - Korean gold medal in women's team relay in short track.
  • In bobsleigh, luge and skeleton Koreans had the advantage, because they knew the track better than anyone else. But I thing it is not the Koreans problem. But it should be done something about this in future, because there was a big chance that not the best man wins, but another person, who knows the track best.
  • There was not so much spectators at some of the events, for example: Ice hockey.

By the way, there was a commercial TV, which translated Olympics in Lithuania. NEVER give a chance to translate Olympics for the commercial TV in your country! The quality was soooooo bad. Happy that there is Eurosport in Europe :) And internet helped me very much...

Edited by Edenas

I know that all depends on my personal state of mind, which is no longer the same that once was...:cry:

but I voted "BAD" also for a series of things strictly connected with the Games themselves...first of all, the awful scheduling (and the "uncomfortable" TV coverage here in Italy)...absolutely the worst ever...then a series of controversies (started well before the Olympics with the "Russian saga", and continued in Pyeongchang with judging scandals, competitions held in unfair conditions, depressing environment in many sports and so on) completed my not so enjoyed and enjoyable Olympics...

I never thought I'd have said just a few minutes after watching the last event: "I'm happy that's all over"...but this time it really happened...:cry::facepalm:

10 hours ago, Edenas said:

In bobsleigh, luge and skeleton Koreans had the advantage, because they knew the track better than anyone else. But I thing it is not the Koreans problem. But it should be done something about this in future, because there was a big chance that not the best man wins, but another person, who knows the track best.

correct but i think this happens in every Olympics for the home country, they have advantage in sliding events

Il y a 20 heures , phelps a déclaré:

I never thought I'd have said just a few minutes after watching the last event: "I'm happy that's all over"...but this time it really happened...:cry::facepalm:

That makes two of us...

From an national perspective, it was kinda awfull, whith way more bad surprises than good ones to an extent that I didn't beleive was possible and our national coverage made it only worse (basically, announcing medals before they were there each fucking time)

Very frustrating games. By far the ones I enjoyed the least since I've started followed them (Atlanta here).

I saw a lot more good and exciting competitions than bad and boring competitions, so together with some big surprises, I'd say excellent. 

As for my country (even though that's not what this poll is about judging by the thread name): they were fantastic, which I'm personally not completely thrilled with, because speed skating should be more international, but alright, good news is Norway is back so hopefully Dutch domination will slowly be brought down. 

Eurosport getting all of the rights made for an awesome viewing experience here in the Netherlands. I already had a subscription to the Player (but it only costed 99 cents, so I would have bought one anyway), and they literally showed absolutely everything there, all live, all available on demand right after the end of the event, with different languages as commentary and not a single problem with streams.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

As for TV coverage, the Games were the worst I ever saw (since 1994). Schedule was really poor.

Competitions were quite exciting, organization and infrastructure was really good. I am also pleased with :SLO success, another two medals, these were 4th best Winter games of all time with some young guns showing their best on the path to Beijing 2022 (Žan Kranjec, Lampič, ...).