website statistics

Table Tennis ATTU Asian Olympic Games Qualifier 2021

Totallympics

Korea somehow making it to finals feel bad for Thailand they deserved to be there . 

Indians not in great form either I don't know what to expect in finals but Korea definitely did not win today, Thailand lost. 

Singapore was brilliant but unable to convert the 9-6 lead in 1st game and game point in 6th was decisive as if they didn't expect to do that well. 

:THA PARANANG Orawan won the round robin and the women's Southeast Asia quota

men's quota in SEA will go to :SGP Singapore. two SGP players made it to the final.

in Middle Asia we had two surprises in the semis, top seed Gerassimenko lost to :UZB Kenjaev who will face the younger :IRI Alamian in the final. surprisingly Nima beat his older brother Noshad 4-1 ! I know they trained together their whole lives but when they play each other Noshad usually wins 8 out of 10. but today was a different story :wacko:   hopefully Nima can win the quota. we always had TT players at the Olympics since 2000.

in mixed doubles. the final will be between :IND and :KOR

and the semifinals in women's middle Asia are ongoing. :UZB vs :UZB and :IRI vs :KAZ

-------------

Shahsavari lost her chance for the 3rd Olympics. despite 3-1 lead and then again 10-8 lead in the decider :cry: it will be :KAZ vs :UZB in the women's final

at least we will have one TT player in Tokyo. the younger brother :IRI Nima Alamian beat :UZB Kenjaev 4-2

some people here think Noshad lost intentionally to Nima, because he still has a very slim chance to qualify through the ranking. but I think that's highly unlikely. first because his chance is very slim to qualify (almost zero) and second because Nima had beaten him before.

One brother kicking out the other of Olympic qualification is...quite something :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, MHSN said:

some people here think Noshad lost intentionally to Nima, because he still has a very slim chance to qualify through the ranking. but I think that's highly unlikely. first because his chance is very slim to qualify (almost zero) and second because Nima had beaten him before.

I agree, even in the best case scenario where athletes ranked above him qualified through the European/Latin American qualifier and the athletes qualified in mixed doubles already qualified in the singles/team he is still outside of a qualification position. He'd probably need to gain about 200 points over the athletes above him in order to have a realistic chance.

18 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I agree, even in the best case scenario where athletes ranked above him qualified through the European/Latin American qualifier and the athletes qualified in mixed doubles already qualified in the singles/team he is still outside of a qualification position. He'd probably need to gain about 200 points over the athletes above him in order to have a realistic chance.

is there any event left to change the current ranking ? I thought this is final because I can't see anything else in ITTF calendar.

I did a little check to see if this "guess" is right or not. we will have 86 male players in Tokyo.

48 for 16 teams with 3 athletes + 22 from continental events + 4 from Doha WQT + 1 Wild Card = 75

that leaves 11 quotas for Ranking + Mixed doubles players. Canada already took one by sending a different player.

all other 7 teams in XD already qualified somewhere else so they won't take anymore quota.

best case scenario: if those remaining 8 teams in XD don't take anymore quota, we will have 10 players to qualify through ranking. Noshad is currently 15th among non-qualified players.

another best case scenario: 5 European players + 1 from Paraguay can qualify before the deadline. in this case he will climb to the 9th position in that ranking.

so let's say he needs lots of best case scenarios to happen! not really possible :d and the point is , his chance was below 10% (and even less) that's stupid to count on that and give up the quota, even to your own brother! that's simply too stupid to happen. but people love strange theories :p