website statistics

Men's Handball IHF Olympic Games Qualification Tournaments 2021

Totallympics

I'm surprised with Brazil qualifying! After the disastrous loss at the semi-final of the 2019 Pan Ams, only a miracle would let the team even reach the qualifying tournament, and only a bigger miracle would make them qualify, but hey! Look at what happened! I almost can't believe it!

And what a bizarre way for Croatia not to qualify. I'm shocked.

These 12 teams will be seeded for the draw as follows:

Row 1: Denmark, Norway
Row 2: France, Sweden
Row 3: Germany, Portugal
Row 4: Brazil, Japan
Row 5: Spain, Egypt
Row 6: Argentina, Bahrain

Further details about the Tokyo 2020 Men’s Handball Tournament draw will be announced on ihf.info in due course.

https://www.ihf.info/media-center/news/draw-and-seeding-information-tokyo-2020-mens-handball-tournament

What seems wrong to me is Spain being only in pot 5. I'm aware that it's because they qualified as European Champion. But still, otherwise they would have been part of the qualification tournament anyway.

Same for Egypt, for that matter. But since both top 5 teams are comparatively strong teams, it sort of evens out, I guess.

with such an even draw, the preliminary round in Tokyo is going to be useless...we already know that Egypt and the European teams will be in the quarterfinals...

there's no chance to have an unbalanced draw with a stronger group with 5 teams competing for the 4 quarterfinals spots...

not that it's a problem (with so many things to watch at the Olympics, team sports preliminaries are definitely at the very bottom of my list), but still...

I would not be so sure about the 7 European teams + Egypt in the QF. Argentina has a very decent team and I wouldn't be so surprised if they managed to win at least one game against Europeans,

5 minutes ago, Cobi said:

I would not be so sure about the 7 European teams + Egypt in the QF. Argentina has a very decent team and I wouldn't be so surprised if they managed to win at least one game against Europeans,

Yes, and Brazil also has a very good squad , with some elite club players. It's just they have been poorly managed last 2 years.  

As I said BRA & ARG will probably be in the same group and that group will be tough.