website statistics

Top athletes who will miss the Winter Olympic Games 2018

2018TopAthletes.png

Every time we see the same thing, logically when you're talking about many hundreds of athletes: there's always a few main contenders who get injured, sick or otherwise miss out on the Olympics. I thought it'd be interesting to make a collection of them here, and see just who we are missing out on. 

Obviously there's no special rules, but personally I'd go for athletes who actually miss out on a somewhat realistic medal chance (where "but he didn't really have a chance" is a different kind of discussion) and who miss out due to things like injury. Someone like Ole Einar Bjoerndalen or Michel Mulder, who in theory would have a medal chance but simply weren't good enough to qualify, doesn't really count. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I'll start out with what I've got in mind at the moment. There's a lot of torn ACL's in there, feel free to correct me if that's not technically correct since I'm quick to count a knee injury as a torn ACL :p 

Alpine skiing
Marie-Michele Gagnon (CAN) - Torn ACL at the Lake Louise World Cup

Travis Ganong (USA) - Torn ACL at the Bormio World Cup

Jacqueline Wiles (USA) - Torn ACL (?) + double leg fracture at the Garmisch World Cup

Erik Guay (CAN) - Back injury

Felix Neureuther (GER) - Knee injury

Steven Nyman (USA) - ?

Freestyle skiing

Kelly Sildaru (EST) - Torn ACL

Lisa Zimmermann (GER) - Torn ACL

Heidi Zacher (GER) - Torn ACL

Georgia Simmerling (CAN) - ?

Ski jumping

Severin Freund (GER) - Torn ACL

Biathlon

Gabriela Koukalova (CZE) - Leg injury?

Snowboarding

Sabine Schöffmann (AUT) - Fractured fibula + torn ligaments at the Bansko World Cup

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Drew Doughty , Patrick Kane :thumbdown:

Well yeah, we could name the entire NHL roster, but yeah :lol:

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well yeah, we could name the entire NHL roster, but yeah :lol:

still not over it, very sad, also scary precedent for basketball for nba players, and probably means will really never see mlb players in baseball, even in the l.a olympics 

so sad for Wiles - i like her very much...seen her crash live on Eurosport...when she could easily avoid it just letting it go...she decided to stay in the race with such a high cost :/

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

vor 2 Stunden schrieb heywoodu:

I'll start out with what I've got in mind at the moment. There's a lot of torn ACL's in there, feel free to correct me if that's not technically correct since I'm quick to count a knee injury as a torn ACL :p 

Alpine skiing
Marie-Michele Gagnon (CAN) - Torn ACL at the Lake Louise World Cup

Travis Ganong (USA) - Torn ACL at the Bormio World Cup

Jacqueline Wiles (USA) - Torn ACL (?) + double leg fracture at the Garmisch World Cup

Erik Guay (CAN) - Back injury

Felix Neureuther (GER) - Knee injury

Steven Nyman (USA) - ?

Freestyle skiing

Kelly Sildaru (EST) - Torn ACL

Lisa Zimmermann (GER) - Torn ACL

Heidi Zacher (GER) - Torn ACL

Georgia Simmerling (CAN) - ?

Ski jumping

Severin Freund (GER) - Torn ACL

Biathlon

Gabriela Koukalova (CZE) - Leg injury?

Snowboarding

Sabine Schöffmann (AUT) - Fractured fibula + torn ligaments at the Bansko World Cup

Alpine skiing:

Stefan Luitz (GER) - Torn ACL

Figure skating:

Anna Pogorilaya (RUS) - Back injury

Snowboarding:

Torah Bright (AUS) - Wrist inury
Don't know if she counts, she wasn't able to qualify due to a wrist injury.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

10 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Alpine skiing:

Stefan Luitz (GER) - Torn ACL

Figure skating:

Anna Pogorilaya (RUS) - Back injury

Snowboarding:

Torah Bright (AUS) - Wrist inury
Don't know if she counts, she wasn't able to qualify due to a wrist injury.

Ah, how could I forget Luitz. 

And sure she counts, it's nothing formal or official, no problem.