website statistics

Formula 1 FIA World Championship 2018

heywoodu

Maybe Ricciardo shouldn't have been so aggressive, but that was Verstappen's mistake nonetheless. There was enough place to overtake him on the left so Ricciardo was trying to do exactly that but then Verstappen was trying to close the gap when it was already too late. If Verstappen just keeps going straight, how he is supposed to do in that situation, he and Ricciardo go into the first turn side by side, and nobody crashes into anyone. 

Edited by Gigs

10 minutes ago, Gigs said:

Maybe Ricciardo shouldn't have been so aggressive, but that was Verstappen's mistake nonetheless. There was enough place to overtake him on the left so Ricciardo was trying to do exactly that but then Verstappen was trying to close the gap when it was already too late. If Verstappen just keeps going straight, how he is supposed to do in that situation, he and Ricciardo go into the first turn side by side, and nobody crashes into anyone. 

If Verstappen kept going straight, he would have ran off the track. There was a (left) corner there, his only option was to turn left :d 

And Ricciardo was braking so incredibly late (as said before, his usual dive bomb) that even if Verstappen had left space on the inside, Ricciardo would simply have hit him not from the rear, but from the side. There was no escaping there because of Ricciardo's insanely late braking. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

32 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Oh, it was serious. I thought it was a parody of the usual trolls on internet :d 

Verstappen has shown a million times more talent than Kvyat ever did. Kvyat was mostly making mistakes and letting himself get beaten by falling asleep or something, with something good every now and then. Verstappen has been showing a shitload of talent and speed, but this season has made mistakes in Australia (spinning early in the race), the Bahrain qualifying and the move on Vettel in China. Ricciardo has had some dubious dive bombs as well, and his absurd mistake today, but also shows good speed now and then. No reason to place any of them back to Toro Rosso. 

Today Ricciardo AND Verstappen committed a big mistake (indeed they both got a reprimand from the stewards and Verstappen would have been sanctioned if he had been the only one able to continue the race. Same for Ricciardo). This means that Verstappen committed a major mistake in every race so far. That's a lot.

I know they won't send him to Toro Rosso, they'll keep him for many years (good for Red Bull's opponents :p)

6 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Today Ricciardo AND Verstappen committed a big mistake (indeed they both got a reprimand from the stewards and Verstappen would have been sanctioned if he had been the only one able to continue the race. Same for Ricciardo). This means that Verstappen committed a major mistake in every race so far. That's a lot.

I know they won't send him to Toro Rosso, they'll keep him for many years (good for Red Bull's opponents :p)

Yep, because Red Bull is smart and has a good eye for talent. 

Oh well, people can think he made a big mistake today (we all know stewards are rather easy to punish Verstappen so that doesn't say that much), a lot of other people think he didn't. The most obvious was Ricciardo thinking Verstappen could disappear into smoke, whereas Verstappen's biggest 'mistake' today (still nothing compared to the actual mistakes in the first 3 weekends this year) ended with only a small touch of wheels and not losing a place. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

By the way, one thing everyone should agree about is hats off to Charles Leclerc and his awesome points for Sauber and Monaco :bowdown:

@heywoodu

Look at twitter reactions to the crash. I'd say around 90% think he did a mistake and all experts I've heard saying something about the crash claimed Verstappen did a mistake too. (Not saying there aren't any experts claiming he didn't make a mistake, I just didn't specifically search for that) Yeah Verstappen had to move left at some point, but what you claim, which is that he had to move left at that point already is complete rubbish. And that they had crashed even if Verstappen had left room is complete speculation, absolutely not based on facts. Ricciardo was in Verstappen's slipstream and therefore so much faster in that moment that they would have been side by side in the turn, and Ricciardo wouldn't have run into Verstappen's side as you claim. 

3 minutes ago, Gigs said:

@heywoodu

Look at twitter reactions to the crash. I'd say around 90% think he did a mistake and all experts I've heard saying something about the crash claimed Verstappen did a mistake too. (Not saying there aren't any experts claiming he didn't make a mistake, I just didn't specifically search for that) Yeah Verstappen had to move left at some point, but what you claim, which is that he had to move left at that point already is complete rubbish. And that they had crashed even if Verstappen had left room is complete speculation, absolutely not based on facts. Ricciardo was in Verstappen's slipstream and therefore so much faster in that moment that they would have been side by side in the turn, and Ricciardo wouldn't have run into Verstappen's side as you claim. 

Well, experts can say what they want, I'm sticking with this being an idiotic move by Ricciardo who very much underestimated the power of the slipstream and DRS. Yes, most drivers would have been scared off and thought "wow, yeah...come and pass me", but Verstappen isn't one to let himself get passed easily (I'm quite certain someone like Alonso, possibly the single best driver in F1 at the moment, wouldn't have let Ricciardo overtake him that easily neither).

What makes you think he underestimated slipstream and DRS. There is absolutely no way you can know he was going too fast at that point. And even if he was, the reason they crashed was Verstappen closing the gap too late. Maybe Ricciardo was going too fast but even in that case Verstappen must not change the line so late, or do you think he crashed deliberately thinking he'd crash in the corner anyway?

13 minutes ago, Gigs said:

What makes you think he underestimated slipstream and DRS. There is absolutely no way you can know he was going too fast at that point. And even if he was, the reason they crashed was Verstappen closing the gap too late. Maybe Ricciardo was going too fast but even in that case Verstappen must not change the line so late, or do you think he crashed deliberately thinking he'd crash in the corner anyway?

Because he was braking too late. Apart from that, he didn't anticipate the predictable defending, that's not very smart. Like I said before, Verstappen had some rather bad mistakes this year (one in each of the previous three weekends), but this wasn't really one of them :) 

Edited by heywoodu

Oh well, it's not like we're going to agree anyway :d