website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Debuting, Coming Back, Returning and Missing Nations

DaniSRB

15 minutes ago, DaniSRB said:

I just noticed Turks and Caicos Islands competed last year at youth athletics World Championship. Maybe we can see them at next Olympics?

I think that they can not participate on Olympics.

"However, the TCIOC is not recognised by the IOC. After modifying its Charter in 1992, only Olympic Committees representing independent states are admitted as new IOC members"

Edited by dareza

1 minute ago, dareza said:

I think that they can not paricipate on Olympics.

" However, the TCIOC is not recognised by the IOC. After modifying its Charter in 1992, only Olympic Committees representing independent states are admitted as new IOC members"

we know that that rules is broken anyway :p

Likely not since the IOC has rather strict requirements. Unless a new area declares independence and gets international recognition the most likely place to become a member right now would be Western Sahara and that's quite unlikely.

Still it's always fun to see smaller regions compete. The Commonwealth Games will have a bunch and the Central American and Caribbean Games will include a few places for the first time this year.

If I'm not mistaken :NIU Niue is currently the only eligible nation, but they are not interested.

Also :NCL New Caledonia should have an independence referendum this year. And Bougainville should have its referendum next year. While New Caledonia becoming independent is unlikely, Bougainville should likely become independent from what I understand (though they were/are struggling with the organization of the referendum).

#banbestmen

2 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Likely not since the IOC has rather strict requirements. Unless a new area declares independence and gets international recognition the most likely place to become a member right now would be Western Sahara and that's quite unlikely.

Still it's always fun to see smaller regions compete. The Commonwealth Games will have a bunch and the Central American and Caribbean Games will include a few places for the first time this year.

how British Virgin Island, Bermuda and Cayman Islands compete, aren't they British oversease territories?

Also, Guam, American Samoa, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands compete but Northern Mariana Islands not, or Cook Islands yes but Niue not

Just now, DaniSRB said:

how British Virgin Island, Bermuda and Cayman Islands compete, aren't they British oversease territories?

Also, Guam, American Samoa, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands compete but Northern Mariana Islands not, or Cook Islands yes but Niue not

Those places gained admission before the IOC made stronger rules (because colonization was coming to an end). It's one of the reasons why Curacao couldn't compete after the dissolution of the Netherlands Antilles.

1 hour ago, dcro said:

If I'm not mistaken :NIU Niue is currently the only eligible nation, but they are not interested.

Also :NCL New Caledonia should have an independence referendum this year. And Bougainville should have its referendum next year. While New Caledonia becoming independent is unlikely, Bougainville should likely become independent from what I understand (though they were/are struggling with the organization of the referendum).

And the Vatican City.

Although I doubt we'll see the Pope competing in Greco-Roman wrestling for some time...

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Those places gained admission before the IOC made stronger rules (because colonization was coming to an end). It's one of the reasons why Curacao couldn't compete after the dissolution of the Netherlands Antilles.

When Juan Samaranch was head of the IOC he came under pressure from the Spanish government not to allow Gibraltar to join the IOC because Spain claimed it as part of their territory,

So they changed the rules.