website statistics
Jump to content

Countdown to Beijing 2022

 

Cross-Country Skiing 2021 - 2022 Discussion Thread


 Share

Recommended Posts

No surprise, Zakopane bails out from hosting the cross country at the upcoming U23 World Championships next February. They couldn't build a 5 km loop which was mandatory for the event - even with the COVID delay. The 3.75 km loop was approved for nordic combined but that's like a pariah event on the big scale anyway. Only ski jumping & NC will be held in Zakopane.

 

The 3.75 km loop could have been artifically extended but they are building a domed speed skating rink within the complex already which has priority over cross country.

 

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1113063/world-ski-cross-country-champs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Fis will be introducing mixed team sprint and relays soon...

Is this based on sth you've heard or is it mere speculation/an educated guess/your own opinion-prediction?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, intoronto said:

Fis will be introducing mixed team sprint and relays soon...

I actually don't hate this idea for relays because it would make them more competitive esp. for smaller nations. Mixed team sprint seems unnecessary as hell though. CC already has so many events.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

I actually don't hate this idea for relays because it would make them more competitive esp. for smaller nations. Mixed team sprint seems unnecessary as hell though. CC already has so many events.

Like which smaller nations? If they allow Norway B, Russia B and Sweden B to compete (duh) then these smaller nations would end up where they are now - without adding another event Norway can dominate :p  The biggest competition is in individual sprints. Relays are basically a wash with the same 5-6 big nations always finishing in Top 5-6 places all the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Like which smaller nations? If they allow Norway B, Russia B and Sweden B to compete (duh) then these smaller nations would end up where they are now - without adding another event Norway can dominate :p  The biggest competition is in individual sprints. Relays are basically a wash with the same 5-6 big nations always finishing in Top 5-6 places all the time.

I meant more if it’s at the World Championships where there’s one team per country. Kind of like in biathlon when the Czechs or USA do better in mixed relays because they only have 2 strong men/2 strong women.

 

But yeah if there are multiple teams per country starting then you’re right. Relays are rare enough during the World Cup anyway though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...