website statistics

Surfing at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

8 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

First time watching. 20 minutes of waves scenery (which is great stuff) but didnt see many action here beside that.

I will give it a chance in future but not impressed today.

Im watching surfing for the first time ever too and I have samr feelings.

Paris2024 has to "save" this with Tahiti, because if they can't with that location...

At least skateboarding can maybe improve by becoming more of an Olympic sport, surfing on the hand... I don't know how you can make this a watchable event that has a right to stay in the Olympics. 

I mean, you could hold surfing in a wave pool, which produces rideable waves at predictable times (the format of surfing contests is completely different in a wave pool). The problem is that you lose a lot of the skills important skills of the sport when you take the sport out of the ocean.

I duno, I think surfing is fine as is. Not every sport has to be super exciting to watch live. There are plenty of other Olympic sports that have long periods where nothing exciting happens anyway.

5 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Paris2024 has to "save" this with Tahiti, because if they can't with that location...

At least skateboarding can maybe improve by becoming more of an Olympic sport, surfing on the hand... I don't know how you can make this a watchable event that has a right to stay in the Olympics. 

It's sort of meditative to have on in the background, but the issue is that in a half hour of waiting for anything to happen, the thing that happens is suddenly over in 5 seconds, so if you don't pay attention enough, you miss all the bits of action all the time :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I expect that plenty of people here who don't come from countries with  ocean coastline beaches and an accompanying surfing culture   ( that includes all but about 4 European countries  ) don't approve of surfing being on the programme 

But I'm sure  they have no problem with  snow sports especially mountain snow sports being Olympic events  and don't give a thought to those from countries which don't have the climate and terrain  for these sports 

Just an observation 

2 minutes ago, NearPup said:

I mean, you could hold surfing in a wave pool, which produces rideable waves at predictable times (the format of surfing contests is completely different in a wave pool). The problem is that you lose a lot of the skills important skills of the sport when you take the sport out of the ocean.

I duno, I think surfing is fine as is. Not every sport has to be super exciting to watch live. There are plenty of other Olympic sports that have long periods where nothing exciting happens anyway.

The problem is that the other "boring" sports have a long legacy at the Games, so there's no question about that they should stay in the program. Surfing on the other hand was added to the program to reach a new audience and I would be very surprised if they succeeded at that because this might be the worst broadcast of the entire Games. 

10 minutes ago, rajiv said:

I expect that plenty of people here who don't come from countries with  ocean coastline beaches and an accompanying surfing culture   ( that includes all but about 4 European countries  ) don't approve of surfing being on the programme 

But I'm sure  they have no problem with  snow sports especially mountain snow sports being Olympic events  and don't give a thought to those from countries which don't have the climate and terrain  for these sports 

Just an observation 

Don't compare the Winter and Summer Games. The Winter Games don't have any issues with limited number of athletes quotas because it's still a smaller event compared to the Summer Games. The inclusion of surfing (as the inclusion of any new sport) means that the number of athlete quotas get reduced in other sports. And I say this as someone from a country who definitely don't benefit from additional Winter Olympic events.