website statistics

How Many Medals do You Expect from Your Nation at the Summer Olympic Games 2020? (2018 version)

DaniSRB

Unlike GB who don't care about half the sports, I can picture France winning at least one medal in almost every sport.

Doubtful though in Badminton, Synchronised Swimming, Rhythmic Gymnastics, Water Polo and Table Tennis (excluding the 5 new sports for the Tokyo programme) but who knows, a lot can happen in 6,5 years from now.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

11 hours ago, LDOG said:

-Francisco Saubidet Birkner (Sailing RSX): gold medal in 2014 YOG, silver x2 in 2014 and 2015 youth Wch. Now transitioning to senior.

Francisco Saubidet Birkner? Another from the skiing family?

They have more Olympians than some small countries...

Il y a 2 heures , Quasit a déclaré:

Unlike GB who don't care about half the sports, I can picture France winning at least one medal in almost every sport.

Doubtful though in Badminton, Synchronised Swimming, Rhythmic Gymnastics, Water Polo and Table Tennis (excluding the 5 new sports for the Tokyo programme) but who knows, a lot can happen in 6,5 years from now.

I won't call a water polo medal doubtfull, but impossible :p I think that rhytmic gymnastic is also impossible and you forgot field hockey. The men's side should be decent enough (quarter finalist at best ?), but the women's side will be hopeless (they allready announced that they will try to reach some foreigners to make the team)

hace 15 minutos, Dragon said:

Francisco Saubidet Birkner? Another from the skiing family?

They have more Olympians than some small countries...

Yes, he's a cousin of them. And also his brother and sister do windsurfing too. Big family :d

52 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

I won't call a water polo medal doubtfull, but impossible :p I think that rhytmic gymnastic is also impossible and you forgot field hockey. The men's side should be decent enough (quarter finalist at best ?), but the women's side will be hopeless (they allready announced that they will try to reach some foreigners to make the team)

A current top 20 position on the men's side (Field Hockey) is a good position to work with from now. Another sport I forgot about is Golf, I'm not sure if there is any prospect.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

I hope Brazil returns to the old results, 17 medals to be exact. Chances for this exist, but should be between 14 or 15 medals.

Big Sports - Volleyball (Indoor/Beach), Judo, Football, Swimming... - 9/10 medals.

Traditional Sports - Athletics, Gymnastics, Boxing, Taekwondo - 1/2 medals

New Sports - Karate/Skateboard/Surfing - 3/6 medals

Canoeing - 1/2 medals (Probably 1)

I do not believe we can win a medal in a other sport, but there are chances in tennis, table tennis, cycling, slalom canoeing ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Am 18.1.2018 um 13:04 schrieb De_Gambassi:

The early Rio days were a disaster (something like one medal after four days), so at the end of the day, it was ok/satisfactory (considering the early days, it could have been soooooooo much worse).

IIRC, 42 medals was the objective which would have been a record in modern days (which now have been beaten again by... Beijing 08 thanks to doping cases :p) Golds were lacking a bit indeed, but the overall 7th spot in the medals table was judged fine..

Track cycling was indeed a disaster (only one bronze medal). It's the one sport (whith perhaps swimming) where we should gain a lot in Tokyo (if anything, Mathilde Gros should make sure of it). Boxing (6 medals) will certainly take a hit, but the introcution of Karate will hopefully compensate it.

What exactly does that mean? You see her as a medal favorite in 2020?

I doubt that she alone will be enough to lead France to a medal in team sprint, so this leaves only keirin and sprint.

In both events we will have Vogel and Morton (who will both be 29 in Tokyo), Ligtlee (who will be 26 in Tokyo), the british girls, the chinese girls and the russian girls. In keirin we will also have Degrendele. Grabosch was born in 1998 while Gros was born in 1999, we saw at the recent world championships how big the gap between those two is, so i honestly wouldn't expect any medals from Gros in Tokyo.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Am 18.1.2018 um 13:19 schrieb De_Gambassi:

You... have a great memory. The 4th day was ineed great with five medals, including the two equestrian ones. We only had one before that day.

Germany had the same problems, 0 medals on the first 3 days and then 3 medals on day 4.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.