website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Bet Contest Discussion Thread

LDOG

vor 8 Stunden schrieb heywoodu:

Now that it's closed and everything, anyone interested in sharing their biggest bets while we wait for the full overview? :p 

These were my 8+ point bets, if anyone cares:

qnxuwM0.png

On Day 1, the first 5 Gold Medals will be awarded to athletes from 5 different countries. [YES - 10]

Canada will finish ahead of the USA in the medal table. [NO - 10]

By total medals won, Norway & Germany will win more than Canada & the United States, who in turn will win more than Japan & South Korea. [YES - 10]

Austria will finish ahead of Switzerland in the medal table. [YES - 10]

We will have at least 5 Gold Medal winners being less than 18 years young on that given day. [NO - 10]

At least 3 Torino 2006 medalists will win a Medal in PyeongChang. [YES - 10]

At least 3 nations will win 10 or more gold medals. [YES - 10]

Biathlon:

An athlete who finished 21st or worst in the Sprint will win a Pursuit medal. [NO - 10]

Bobsleigh:

Germany will win at least 6 medals between all events. [NO - 10]

Cross-country:

The Men's Sprint will see a medalist who finished 21st-30th in the Qualification. [NO - 10]

The athlete leading the Men's Skiathlon at half-point will eventually win it. [NO - 10]

Curling:

Canada will defend its Gold Medals in both the Men's and Women's events. [YES - 10]

Figure skating:

The north korean pair will finish ahead of their south korean counterpart. [YES - 10]

Freestyle skiing:

Devin Logan (USA) will win both the Women's Slopestyle and the Women's Halfpipe. [NO - 10]

Sweden will be represented in the Women's Ski Cross Final by at least 2 athletes. [NO - 10]

South Korea will win at least 1 medal, while Australia will win at least 3. [NO - 10]

Ice hockey:

The Women's Unified Korean Team will win a match. [NO - 10]

Nordic combined:

Germany will sweep (win Gold, Silver and Bronze) at least one of the individual events. [NO - 10]

Ski jumping:

Poland will win at least one gold medal. [YES - 10]

Shorttrack:

South Korea will win all 8 Gold Medals. [NO - 10]

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

13- At least one medal event will be postponed to another day. [YES - Men's downhill]

32- The athlete leading the Men's Skiathlon at half-point will eventually win it. [NO]

49- Germany will win all 4 Gold Medals. [NO]

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

58- In all individual events, at least 3 participants will be relegated or disqualified in the A-Finals. NO

Why this answer is NO ? :mumble:

• Men's 1,500m (Final A): Hwang :KOR DNF and Hamelin :CAN  PEN
  • Ladies' 500m (Final A): CHOI :KOR  PEN

We have "at least 3 participants"  out of ranking; the answer should be YES.

hace 3 minutos, Henry_Leon said:

58- In all individual events, at least 3 participants will be relegated or disqualified in the A-Finals. NO

oops sorry, I copypasted the wrong word. The answer is indeed "yes".

hace 14 minutos, Henry_Leon said:

Oh, sorry again, I just remembered what was the problem with this bet...

The phrasing "in all individual events" is ambiguous. The original intention from the author of this one (phelps I think) was to mean between all 6 events together, but unfortunately I missed to add that info and therefore, "in all individual events" could be misunderstood by someone as meaning "in each of the individual events".

Because of the ambiguity and because I realised about this mistake after the deadline (and so I couldn't make clear the correct interpretation to everyone like we did with some other ambiguous bets), I fear I have no option other than to award the bet as won to everyone. 

Sorry again, I should have been more careful. 

By the way, what happens with a lost bet? I suppose when you spent 250 points you're starting at 0, and when you lose a bet you don't go into the negative, but that bet is scored as 0? (So for example if you spent 250 points, and every single bet is lost, you end up with 0 points and not with -250?)

Not that it makes a difference, just curious :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

By the way, what happens with a lost bet? I suppose when you spent 250 points you're starting at 0, and when you lose a bet you don't go into the negative, but that bet is scored as 0? (So for example if you spent 250 points, and every single bet is lost, you end up with 0 points and not with -250?)

Not that it makes a difference, just curious :p 

Of course there are negatives...

#banbestmen

There aren't negative scores.

Your possible final score ranges from 0 to 250, the more bets you win the closer you are to that maximum score, but you don't get deducted points for losing a bet. 

I think for next edition we could add that "risk" feature, so users think twice before betting 10s left and right (something many users did for this contest). But I will need time to think about how it could work best.

Edited by LDOG