• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rio 2016 Olympic Bet Contest

:BRA Rio de Janeiro (BRA) - 5 August 2016 - 21 August 2016  :BRA 

Logo.png

is now open.

Remember, for this contest there aren't points to earn for General Standings. And please, take a good look at the rules before posting.

Only african nations will win medals in both Marathon events.

African should be with a capital letter and marathon shouldn't :p but of course that's not my main comment about it: shouldn't it be better to formulate things in such a way that there is no doubt possible? Because now one can read it as "The only nation(s) that will win at least one medal in both marathon events will be from Africa." or as "All six marathon medals will be won by African nations." 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 11:39, heywoodu said:

African should be with a capital letter and marathon shouldn't :p but of course that's not my main comment about it: shouldn't it be better to formulate things in such a way that there is no doubt possible? Because now one can read it as "The only nation(s) that will win at least one medal in both marathon events will be from Africa." or as "All six marathon medals will be won by African nations." 

Sorry, but I don't understand your point.

1 minute ago, LDOG said:

Sorry, but I don't understand your point.

"Only African nations will win medals in both marathon events."

Men's marathon:

1. Kenya

2. USA

3. Italy

Women's marathon:

1. Brazil

2. Portugal

3. Kenya

If these are the marathon results, the question can be interpreted as both Yes and No. 

Yes --> The only nation that won a medal in both marathon event is Kenya, thus an African nation.

No --> Non-African nations won medals as well. 

My point is that there are questions for which certain results can cause both yes and no to be the correct answer, because the way the question is formulated leaves room for interpretation for both answers to be correct.

Trying to explain it as good as I can :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

"Only African nations will win medals in both marathon events."

Men's marathon:

1. Kenya

2. USA

3. Italy

Women's marathon:

1. Brazil

2. Portugal

3. Kenya

If these are the marathon results, the question can be interpreted as both Yes and No. 

Yes --> The only nation that won a medal in both marathon event is Kenya, thus an African nation.

No --> Non-African nations won medals as well. 

My point is that there are questions for which certain results can cause both yes and no to be the correct answer, because the way the question is formulated leaves room for interpretation for both answers to be correct.

No its specific, read carefully. "Only African nations will win medals in both marathon events."  = all medals will be won by african countries (gold, silver and bronze)

3 minutes ago, George_D said:

No its specific, read carefully. "Only African nations will win medals in both marathon events."  = all medals will be won by african countries (gold, silver and bronze)

Yes, but, read carefully: " "Only African nations will win medals in both marathon events."  = The only nations that will will a medal in both events are African nations.

Just trying to avoid future problems with users claiming they should have more poitns because questions leave room for more than one correct answer.. for example in this case, if your interpretation is the correct one, it would be much better (in my opinion) to write "All six marathon medals will be won by African nations", because then there is no possibility of both yes and no being correct. 

Edited by heywoodu

3 minutes ago, George_D said:

That's how I see it too

hace 3 minutos, heywoodu said:

Oh, now I see. Yes, you're right it's ambiguous. Obviously it should be interpreted as "all medals in both marathon events will be won by african nations"

Also this one suffers from something similar: "80- At least 4 matches, in both the Women's and Men's Tournament, will be decided in a penalty shoot-out." Obviously it means 4 between both tournaments, not 4 in each one, but it could be taken that way.

I'll try correct both now. Sorry for the two users that already posted their bets (but anyway vlad will have to edit his post at some point because he used more than double the points available).