website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

Day 5 Summary of India at Olympics

Its mixed day today.. Still no medal

Archery:

Bombayla Devi - Stunned world champion sliver medalist & Current Olympic Team bronze medalist from Chinese Taipei and moved to Pre-Quarter finals

Deepika Kumari - Stormed to Pre-Quarters by beating Georgian and Italian- Good Show by her

Boxing 

Manoj Kumar beat 2012 London Olympics bronze medalist and moved to next round.

Weighlifting

Tamilian Sathish Sivalingam finished 4th in his group by lifting personal best.  Tough no medal from lifters I am happy with their performance as the contested clean without any doping charges. 

Judo - Avtar Singh last first round against Refugee olympics athletics. Though India lost it. I am happy with the match as one of the Refugee has won, where he need this victory for him after loosing everything in his life.

Womens Hockey - Indian womens lost to Australia by 6-1.

Shooting - Same story again - Both Jitu Rai & Prakash Nanjapa fails to qualify for finals. Before last round Jitu was in 4th position but in last round he falls to 12 position. Just by 2 points, he missed the finals. This happen only with Indians. We need to hold the nerve till last minute.

I am not blaming Jitu, he is one of the finest shooter that India has ever produced because he has all possible medals expect Olympic medal, feel sorry for him as he was to wait for 4 more years. 

Edited by Govind