website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

Regarding Badminton, post-COVID struggles aside, Lakshya Sen is a super talent. He had already started winning tournaments (lower levels) in his first year in Senior circuit. So, I have high hopes from him. Apart from him, I think we have a host of players who would be in 20-50 ranking range. Basically, same as now. 

In WS, I don't have much hopes on any of the youngsters. If you are still playing in Junior circuit at 18-19, it is a clear indication that you are not going to be the next superstar. Tasnim looks promising but not enough dataset to make a prediction about her.

MD seems to be our deepest category now. Satwik/Chirag are monsters. Arjun/Dhruv have been the only ones who gave some fight in both the ties in Sudirman Cup. Then, we also have Krishna/Vishnu pair who also seem promising. 

In WD, we have 3 very good pais: Tanisha/Rutuparna, Ashwini/Sikki and Gayatri/Treesa. Ashwini has been our best WD player for quite some time but I don't think it makes much sense in pairing her with Tanisha or another youngster. Teams should be made keeping Paris in mind. 

Considering that we have a decent pool of young doubles players, having decent XD teams is doable. 

BTW, really disappointed at our performance in Sudirman Cup. Tanisha/Rutuparna won the trials ahead of Ashwini/Sikki but still didn't get to play WD. What is the point of having trials then? Srikanth/Sai are in horrible form. They both should seriously take a long break and return in lower tournaments to get some match practice. Also, what is this fascination of playing Singles players in Doubles. Couldn't Dhruv or Arjun played in XD? Ashwini/Dhruv even played a couple of tournaments together this year. :facepalm:

8 hours ago, Dolby said:

Regarding Badminton, post-COVID struggles aside, Lakshya Sen is a super talent. He had already started winning tournaments (lower levels) in his first year in Senior circuit. So, I have high hopes from him. Apart from him, I think we have a host of players who would be in 20-50 ranking range. Basically, same as now. 

In WS, I don't have much hopes on any of the youngsters. If you are still playing in Junior circuit at 18-19, it is a clear indication that you are not going to be the next superstar. Tasnim looks promising but not enough dataset to make a prediction about her.

MD seems to be our deepest category now. Satwik/Chirag are monsters. Arjun/Dhruv have been the only ones who gave some fight in both the ties in Sudirman Cup. Then, we also have Krishna/Vishnu pair who also seem promising. 

In WD, we have 3 very good pais: Tanisha/Rutuparna, Ashwini/Sikki and Gayatri/Treesa. Ashwini has been our best WD player for quite some time but I don't think it makes much sense in pairing her with Tanisha or another youngster. Teams should be made keeping Paris in mind. 

Considering that we have a decent pool of young doubles players, having decent XD teams is doable. 

BTW, really disappointed at our performance in Sudirman Cup. Tanisha/Rutuparna won the trials ahead of Ashwini/Sikki but still didn't get to play WD. What is the point of having trials then? Srikanth/Sai are in horrible form. They both should seriously take a long break and return in lower tournaments to get some match practice. Also, what is this fascination of playing Singles players in Doubles. Couldn't Dhruv or Arjun played in XD? Ashwini/Dhruv even played a couple of tournaments together this year. :facepalm:

Good points, Lakshya recently haven't done well good that he is full time in Senior circuit now also Kiran George won a tournament recently after winning the nationals, haven't seen Tasnim and Samiya play yet, I feel no point in playing Ashwini with Siki anymore if not with Tanisha or any other new player better focus only on Mixed doubles with Satwik or Dhruv, Satwik doesn't have the fitness to play both forms though, Siki can waste time with any another mediocre player. Surely Arjun and Dhruv are on an upwards curve.

Indians in Action

ATP 250 Tour

Bulgaria :- Rohan/Aisam loose in Rd1

ATP challenger

Romania   :- Sumit plays in Rd2

Geoffry/Arjun play in Rd1

Spain :-  Sriram/Ramkumar play in Rd1

Anirudh/Manish lost in Rd1

Portugal :- Jeevan/Purav play in Rd1

WTA 500 Tour

USA  :- Sania/Shuai play in Rd1

ITTF Asian championships - Doha