website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

My Updated Medal Prediction after receiving inputs from Fellow Members.

Sport Men Women Total Medal Assumption
Minimum Maximum
Archery 3 1 4 1 2
Athletics 17 9 26 0 2
Badminton 3 1 67 0 1
Boxing 5 4 9 1 2
Equestrian 1 0 1    
Fencing 0 1 1    
Field hockey 16 16 32 0 1
Golf 2 1 3    
Gymnastics 0 1 1    
Judo 0 1 1    
Rowing 2 0 2    
Sailing 3 1 4    
Shooting 8 7 15 3 6
Swimming 2 1 3    
Table tennis 2 2 4    
Tennis 0 2 2    
Weightlifting 0 1 1 1 1
Wrestling 3 4 7 1 3
Total 67 53 120 7 18

First Indian Team to reach Tokyo

The Indian sailing team comprising of VarunThakkar, KC Ganapathy, Vishnu Saravanan and Nethra Kumanan along with their coaches reached Tokyo for Olympics today. Their picture from the Haneda Airport in Japan.

WhatsApp_Image_2021-07-13_at_2.37.09_PM_

India at the 2021 olympics

With just 10 days to go ……. I am planning to do a daily post on Olympics.

What’s Indias Squad looking like 120 Sportspeople are going to The Olympics. Highlights of this squad

·       This is the biggest Indian squad going to the Olympics – Rio was the largest with 117

·       This is the squad where we are participating in the largest number of  sports – 18 ( the earlier record was 15 again in Rio ). Tokyo olympics has 33 sports . so we have 18/33

·       The first time participation sport is fencing . Bhavani Devi is our sole representative

·       The very first woman sailor representing India at the Olympics  . we have Nethra participating in laser radial

India has been a underperformer  amongst the nations till now , in the 1980s we got one medal in 3 olympics , in the 90s we got again 1 medal in two Olympics , in the 2000s this improved to close to 2 medals per Olympics , the 2010s we saw an uptick with an average of 4 medals per Olympics. So the question is how will we do in Tokyo . I personally believe this is the best team we ever have had by far.  We have medal chances in 8 of the 18 sports we will compete in namely – archery,  athletics , badminton , boxing , hockey, shooting , weightlifting , wrestling. I will post once a day for the next 8 days looking at each sport and then a day before Olympics start try to  look at the likely medal tally.   

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Medal Prospects:

Wrestling : 2-4 

1) Vinesh Phogat (G)

2) Bajrang Poonia (G)

3) Anshu Malik (B)

4) Deepak Punia (B)

Archery : 0-2

1) Deepika (B)

2) Mixed team (B)

Athletics : 0-2

1) Neeraj Chopra (B)

2) Bhawna Jat (Dark Horse) (B)

3) Tejinder Pal (Dark Horse) (B)

4) Kamalpreet Kaur (Dark Horse)(B)

Boxing : 1-2

1) Amit Phangal (G)

2) Marry Kom (B)

3) Manish Kaushik (B)

4) Lovlina (B)

Badminton : 1

1) P V Sindhu (G)

Weightlifting : 1

1) Mirabai Chanu (S)

Shooting: 6-8 

1) Saurabh Chaudhary (G)

2) Abhishek Verma (G)

3) Divyansh

4) Manu Bhaker (G)

5) Rahi Sarnobat (G)

6) Yashwini Deshwal

7) Elavenil (G) 

8) Apurvi Chandela

Min : 11

Max : 20

2 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

What’s Indias Squad looking like 120 Sportspeople are going to The Olympics. Highlights of this squad

·       This is the biggest Indian squad going to the Olympics – Rio was the largest with 117

·       This is the squad where we are participating in the largest number of  sports – 18 ( the earlier record was 15 again in Rio ). Tokyo olympics has 33 sports . so we have 18/33

·       The first time participation sport is fencing . Bhavani Devi is our sole representative

·       The very first woman sailor representing India at the Olympics  . we have Nethra participating in laser radial

India has been a underperformer  amongst the nations till now , in the 1980s we got one medal in 3 olympics , in the 90s we got again 1 medal in two Olympics , in the 2000s this improved to close to 2 medals per Olympics , the 2010s we saw an uptick with an average of 4 medals per Olympics. So the question is how will we do in Tokyo . I personally believe this is the best team we ever have had by far.  We have medal chances in 8 of the 18 sports we will compete in namely – archery,  athletics , badminton , boxing , hockey, shooting , weightlifting , wrestling. I will post once a day for the next 8 days looking at each sport and then a day before Olympics start try to  look at the likely medal tally.   

Nice thing....your posting for next 8 days will also act as count down to real action at tokyo olympics !!!

12 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

Eagerly awaiting:yes

Chief Minister of Karnataka BS Yediyurappa and Minister of Youth Empowerment and Sports Dr Narayana Gowda felicitated Tokyo Olympics-bound Srihari Natraj (Swimmer) along with his mother. The athlete was given a cheque of Rs 10 lakhs. His coach Nihar Ameen was also honored at the function.

WhatsApp_Image_2021-07-14_at_8.12.09_PM_

Post 2 of 10 , with just 9 days to go before  Olympics

We look at the chances of the Indian team at the 8 likely to medal sports Olympics and start with weightlifting

Weightlifting has been a sport in the Olympics almost continuously since 1896 . women weightlifting was introduced only 2000 at Sydney. It has had great champions like Naim suleymonglu – the pocket Hercules and  dimas the only man to have won 4 medals in weightlifting. InTokyo we have 14 weight classes 7 in women and 7 in men

India has had a long history in this sport with participation starting in 1936 berlin. The largest Indian team has had 5 members in 1996 olympics but normally we have  i 2-3 people  . India was never really good at weightlifting till the late 90s where  Indias women weightlifting squad was really good with 3 really great women weight lifters, Kunjarani devi , Karnam Malleshwari and Neelam setti laxmi winning multiple world championship medals . When women weightlifting started in 2000 we duly had our first Olympic medallist in karnam malleshwari , but just when things were looking up there were multiple doping violations  among the women weightlifters (except karnam malleshwari). Hinduja group which was heavily sponsoring the team walked out and Indian weightlifting took a turn for the worse .  

This year we have only 1  weightlifter but in quality this is the best team since the 2000 olympics because after a long time we have a truly world class weightlifter padma shri awardee Mirabai Chanu in the 48 Kg Class . Weightlifting is a sport where the medals mostly go as per the rankings and Mirabhai is ranked second , she also is the only woman to have won a world championship since malleshwari. She also the world record holder in Clean & jerk. 1- likely and with her event on day 1 we are likely to start the Olympics this time with a bang

·       - likely means around 50% probability or above . MY prediction – 1 medal 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi