website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

7 hours ago, ug238 said:

As per my view, we have following medal contenders :

Archery : Deepika Kumari (Individual), Women's Team 

Badminton : Saina Nehwal, PV Sindhu

Boxing : Shiva Thapa, Vikas Krishan, L Devendro (Yet to be qualified)

Shooting : All (Depends on the performance of the day)

Wrestling : Yogeshwar, Narsingh

Medal Prospects:

Badminton : K Srikanth

Boxing : Manoj Kumar, Mary Kom (If Quota gets)

Hockey : Men's Team

Gymnastics : Deepa Karmakar

Tennis : Men's double, mixed double

Weightlifting : Meerabai Chanu

Wrestling : Vinesh Phogat

Replace Narsingh with Vinesh and Babita. Both these ladies have ability to fetch a medal

What I saw yesterday, Sumit does not have much chance to progress at Rio, best situation would be if we fail to get that quota here and Vijender gets it in the next event, that would increase our chances.

Edited by Sanjib

37 minutes ago, Sanjib said:

What I saw yesterday, Sumit does not have much chance to progress at Rio, best situation would be if we fail to get that quota here and Vijender gets it in the next event, that would increase our chances.

I don't see Vijender participating in the qualifying event. He has legal obligation with his team & promoter. His promoter Francis Warren has already expressed his views that he don't want Vijender to go for Rio as they have already planned & spent a lot for his future bouts and Rio qualification would hamper that

1 hour ago, Smit said:

Replace Narsingh with Vinesh and Babita. Both these ladies have ability to fetch a medal

Narsingh is a World Championship medalist. So how can you say he's not a medal contender? 

22 minutes ago, gvaisakh said:

Narsingh is a World Championship medalist. So how can you say he's not a medal contender? 

Along with Jitu and Yogeshwar, Narsingh is one of the biggest medal contenders.

12 minutes ago, Sanjib said:

Along with Jitu and Yogeshwar, Narsingh is one of the biggest medal contenders.

Agreed. I would put him even ahead of Yogeshwar as a medal prospect. Yogeshwar did not participate in the world championships. So, it difficult to judge his chances.

For me, Babita is not a medal prospect. She had lost in 2 Olympic qualifying events. Vinesh is a medal prospect, although bit of a longshot.

1 hour ago, gvaisakh said:

I don't see Vijender participating in the qualifying event. He has legal obligation with his team & promoter. His promoter Francis Warren has already expressed his views that he don't want Vijender to go for Rio as they have already planned & spent a lot for his future bouts and Rio qualification would hamper that

Vijender had also expressed his views regarding this that he is not legally bound to participate in the qualifying event.

Boxing

Three Indians, including WBC Asian title-holder Neeraj Goyat, have registered for the International Boxing Association''s (AIBA) Olympic Qualifying tournament for professional boxers scheduled to be held in Venezuela from July 3 to 8