website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

6 hours ago, tirtha22 said:

Feel pity for the Athletics participants from India who might have lost a few Rio Qualification marks due to poor show by the organisers ( power cut ) . I am not saying that they have surely crossed the olympic qualification marks as the calculation was done through handheld devices.  But who knows.. Some athletes might had qualified.:(

Odisha government has taken up the matter with the union ministry regarding the AFI fiasco. Apart from Srabani Nanda ,Odisha had been investing in Amiya Kumar Mallick silently for 3 long years preparing him for Rio.

I agree............ complete mess up by the organisers ...... Not having a backup in Delhi during summer ... anyone who organises a wedding in Delhi  knows that they have to have power back up .......  completely clueless administration .................... only good thing is that we have the federation cup starting tomorrow  and close after that  the Indian  Grand Prix again  (  and if they were able to hit the time they have clocked  ...they should be able to be close to it during these two events and hopefully qualify ) 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

21 hours ago, gvaisakh said:

Guys.. Your opinion on the recent controversy of making Salman Khan as goodwill ambassador for Rio 2016

My views:

1) IOA should have appointed 1 from each field (sports, bollywood, music, arts, science) rather than concentrating on bollywood alone. Olympics is historic event and cannot be compared to IPL, ISL, HIL, PBL, etc

2) Salim Khan, father of Salman Khan, should apologize not only to Milkha Singh but to the entire nation for insulting a sporting legend

3) IOA should have considered Salman Khan's track record. In 2009, he became the brand ambassador of AIFF and it did no good in creating awareness or opportunities 

4) IOA is stating that they are now receiving corporate funding since appointment of Salman Khan, which is a good news. Will IOA ensure that these funds go to the athletes? Only 101 days remaining for Rio 2016 and I personally feel that the funds are coming at the 11th hour which will not benefit the athletes. If IOA felt that these funds would come, then why didn't they do this atleast a year ago so that our athletes could use these funds (provided it reach them) for high level abroad training

PS: 1 good thing coming out of this controversy - atleast few more people know that Olympics is approaching

@Prashanth @Dolby @nitinsanker @tirtha22 @Prakash @Harsh Shah @shrikant @Suneet

My  Take on this controversy

For a person to be a spokesperson for any organisation  ....he or she must have 3 things - 1) Visibility Appeal ( hence funding appeal )   2) Value alignment with the organisation and 3) should relate to the activities of the organisation 

1) Visibility appeal - Salman  gets a tick on this one as he is one of the most visible faces - Actors or cricketers are the most visible faces but some sportsmen like Mary kom or Milkha are well recognised too.......... So we can select from any of them .... In fact Rajyavardhan Rathore being also now a minister would help get cororprate sponsorships a lot more 

2) Values - He fails miserably on this aspect - The modesty and humbleness ( Like  Sushil Kumar ) , The mental concentration ( Like Abhinav Bindra ) , the Emotional drive ( Like  Mary Kom ) ,the work ethic ( Like Saina Nehwal ) ... he has none of the attributes of a great sportsperson ................... Most Indian sportsmen come from humble backgrounds who grow to become world class players ........................... So I feel someone like  Sachin ....... Akshay Kumar .............. Shah Rukh ....... are far more epitomes of values like modesty, mental concentration, emotional drive and work ethic than Salman who is notorious for his poor values and comes across as a rich father's bigda beta 

3) Relate to activities of the organisation ( Sports ) ..... His father salim says he was an A list swimmer, runner etc- ( really I see no evidence of it till now unless it was a list in Salim Khans  diary )  ....... Salman  says that if walking was a sport he would be very good ( incidentally Salman walking is a sport and India is very good at it and no ! you are not good at it ) .........  Yes if poaching was a sport Salman you would be among the best - sorry it is not a  sports ............................... If we were  to take people who can relate to the activities ....... I would say sachin , akshay ( who was a taekwondo black belt ) , abhishek ( Who has been a great supporter of the Kabaddi league and is there in most of the events ) ,  deepika ( who was a state level badminton player and the daughter of the legendary Prakash , saif the son of Indias finest cricketer Pataudi  would have been the best bets not someone like  salman ...........

Speaking personally for me seeing " Smirking Salman"  as the spokesperson for Olympians  like Saina , Sushil , Yogeshwar, Abhinav , Sania  makes me feel sick in the stomach 

My Choice for someone who ticked all the three boxes - Akshay ,  Sachin , Deepika , Milkha, Rajyavardhan .......................... they would make awesome spokespersons for the Olympics ...........  I can imagine an Ad featuring Deepika talking about how sports helped her ( gentle footage of Prakash in the background ) ........ ..... or alternatively Akshay who is  a black belt in taekwondo showing his moves and then talking about how sports helps you ................ or Sachin/ Milkha/ Rathore   talking about the dedication it requires to be world class , the long hours in the field , the dedication , the work ethic ..................  this would bring tears to my eyes ...

I wish they had selected one of them .........  I am sure Milkha or Yogeshwar and the whole Olympic team would have  proud of them ..

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Update from the Olympic qualifiers

sivalingams event starts ....77 kgs ....................  current form poor  ( crashed out of the worlds with no lift ) ...... class high - He is the best male wrestler possibly in India today . ( won the gold medal at the commonwealth with a great combined lift  of 330 ) .. with Indian qualification on a knife edge ........ High hopes from him ... check out this link for live reports http://www.iwf.net/scoreboard/scoreboard3.php

Edited by nitinsanker

Sivalingam has three lifts and gets a mark of 145 ( still below his PB of 150 ) in the snatch .... the critical clean and jerk is left which he had 3 bad lifts and crashed out of the 2015 worlds ..... Importantly in the B finals in the snatch he is the first position amongst the qualifier nations 

Edited by nitinsanker

On 4/26/2016 at 06:20, gvaisakh said:

Guys.. Your opinion on the recent controversy of making Salman Khan as goodwill ambassador for Rio 2016

My views:

1) IOA should have appointed 1 from each field (sports, bollywood, music, arts, science) rather than concentrating on bollywood alone. Olympics is historic event and cannot be compared to IPL, ISL, HIL, PBL, etc

2) Salim Khan, father of Salman Khan, should apologize not only to Milkha Singh but to the entire nation for insulting a sporting legend

3) IOA should have considered Salman Khan's track record. In 2009, he became the brand ambassador of AIFF and it did no good in creating awareness or opportunities 

4) IOA is stating that they are now receiving corporate funding since appointment of Salman Khan, which is a good news. Will IOA ensure that these funds go to the athletes? Only 101 days remaining for Rio 2016 and I personally feel that the funds are coming at the 11th hour which will not benefit the athletes. If IOA felt that these funds would come, then why didn't they do this atleast a year ago so that our athletes could use these funds (provided it reach them) for high level abroad training

PS: 1 good thing coming out of this controversy - atleast few more people know that Olympics is approaching

@Prashanth @Dolby @nitinsanker @tirtha22 @Prakash @Harsh Shah @shrikant @Suneet

Unfortunately bollywood and cricket have a say in every event of india .. sorry they are going to add no value to sports ... Those who come to know olympics via bollywood stars are those crowd whose participation in sports is a least concern for me atleast...Salim Khan has to apologize Milka singh but it wont happen... Salman khan should limit himself to big boss and not get involved in sporting activities... IOA story of receiving corporate fund is just a eye washer to justify there foolishness

58 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

Sivalingam has three lifts and gets a mark of 145 ( still below his PB of 150 ) in the snatch .... the critical clean and jerk is left which he had 3 bad lifts and crashed out of the 2015 worlds ..... Importantly in the B finals in the snatch he is the first position amongst the qualifier nations 

Sathish Sivalingam finished 1 st in MEN 77 kg Group B with total lift 317kg