website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

7 minutes ago, tirtha22 said:

According to Pullela Gopichand, 7 players will get Rio Olympics quota in Badminton. Let's see how far Gopi's prediction materializes.

With just a week left, his 'prediction' is going to be 100% true. Srikanth, Saina, Sindhu, Attri/Reddy and Gutta/Ponappa are going to qualify for Rio. 

Technically, India can send Jayaram, Kashyap or Prannoy (probably couple more) in place of Srikanth as well but dont think that would happen barring injury. 

4 hours ago, Dolby said:

With just a week left, his 'prediction' is going to be 100% true. Srikanth, Saina, Sindhu, Attri/Reddy and Gutta/Ponappa are going to qualify for Rio. 

Technically, India can send Jayaram, Kashyap or Prannoy (probably couple more) in place of Srikanth as well but dont think that would happen barring injury. 

Kashyap cant be sent for sure because of his injury status. Rest I agree with you.

Day2 ................India at the Olympic weightlifting qualification .......................

A poor performance by the Men's Team continues ...................  Indian Gopal Anbarasu finishes 12th ..... we are now positioned 8th after two weight categories ...unless we have an unlikely hero in the heavier weight categories maybe Satish Sivalingam ............... we may be without a men's quota .............

Women's team did not have a weight lifter in this categories  today ....was a little surprised as I expected Matsa Santoshi  to be present in the 53 kg women ( and  would be part of the Indian 4 women numbers )  along with the Punam Yadav in the 63 kg category ..................... let us see who would be the 4th then for India .................. some new weightlifters so hoping for good things from them in the women ...... Vietnam going strong but I expect India to come first or second amongst the qualifiers and definitely qualify and will definitely send Mirakhom who may then be a medal prospect in the 48 kg category at Rio 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

tomorrows Indians at the asian weightlifting qualifiers 

men - Lampung Sambo ....not much expected from a qualifying perspective at best we can expect 12-15 points i believe .......

women - Thasana ...new weightlifter .................... not sure what we can expect but possibly 20 points or so 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Guys.. Your opinion on the recent controversy of making Salman Khan as goodwill ambassador for Rio 2016

My views:

1) IOA should have appointed 1 from each field (sports, bollywood, music, arts, science) rather than concentrating on bollywood alone. Olympics is historic event and cannot be compared to IPL, ISL, HIL, PBL, etc

2) Salim Khan, father of Salman Khan, should apologize not only to Milkha Singh but to the entire nation for insulting a sporting legend

3) IOA should have considered Salman Khan's track record. In 2009, he became the brand ambassador of AIFF and it did no good in creating awareness or opportunities 

4) IOA is stating that they are now receiving corporate funding since appointment of Salman Khan, which is a good news. Will IOA ensure that these funds go to the athletes? Only 101 days remaining for Rio 2016 and I personally feel that the funds are coming at the 11th hour which will not benefit the athletes. If IOA felt that these funds would come, then why didn't they do this atleast a year ago so that our athletes could use these funds (provided it reach them) for high level abroad training

PS: 1 good thing coming out of this controversy - atleast few more people know that Olympics is approaching

@Prashanth @Dolby @nitinsanker @tirtha22 @Prakash @Harsh Shah @shrikant @Suneet

23 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

Thanks gv......... I was wondering if we can put this information in the first page of the India Page ..........Like we used to in the events of the week section ( in the old totallyolympics ) ....and update this every week ( so that we have one location where we check the latest week events ) ... also I think we can add to this list the atheletics federation cup April 28-30 ..... which may be critical for one or two qualifications 

Added this in the 1st page - 5th post

16 minutes ago, gvaisakh said:

Guys.. Your opinion on the recent controversy of making Salman Khan as goodwill ambassador for Rio 2016

My views:

1) IOA should have appointed 1 from each field (sports, bollywood, music, arts, science) rather than concentrating on bollywood alone. Olympics is historic event and cannot be compared to IPL, ISL, HIL, PBL, etc

2) Salim Khan, father of Salman Khan, should apologize not only to Milkha Singh but to the entire nation for insulting a sporting legend

3) IOA should have considered Salman Khan's track record. In 2009, he became the brand ambassador of AIFF and it did no good in creating awareness or opportunities 

4) IOA is stating that they are now receiving corporate funding since appointment of Salman Khan, which is a good news. Will IOA ensure that these funds go to the athletes? Only 101 days remaining for Rio 2016 and I personally feel that the funds are coming at the 11th hour which will not benefit the athletes. If IOA felt that these funds would come, then why didn't they do this atleast a year ago so that our athletes could use these funds (provided it reach them) for high level abroad training

PS: 1 good thing coming out of this controversy - atleast few more people know that Olympics is approaching

@Prashanth @Dolby @nitinsanker @tirtha22 @Prakash @Harsh Shah @shrikant @Suneet

I feel Appointing Salman can shows how good our sports is received in India...We need to appoint a bollywood star to make people think that Olympics is coming up. If this is a marketing strategy then okay. Saying money flowed already because of salman clearly says that it is publicity of Sultan n nothing else. within naming him in 2 days if money starts flowing then this is planned game.

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

1 hour ago, gvaisakh said:

Added this in the 1st page - 5th post

GREAT JOB  GV ( AS USUAL ) ........................... HAVING A SINGLE GLANCE WEEKLY  INDIAN OLYMPIC SCHEDULE  IS A BOON FOR ALL OF US AT THE  INDIAN NATIONAL THREAD ................................ AND HAVING IT IN THE FIRST PAGE MAKES IT EASY TO LOCATE 

Edited by nitinsanker