Results from Barfoot and Thompson Newzealand Open badminton

Ashwini/ Sikki lost in R32

Manu attri/ Sumeet advance to R16

Lakshya sen lost in R32

Anura Prabudesai lost in R32

Saina Nehwal lost in R32

Prannoy advance to R16

Sai Praneet defeats Subankar dey to enter R16

prannoy loses ....... I am a bit frustrated with badminton currently ....none of the men seem to improving I was hoping that one of them would also move into the top 10 along with Srikanth and create the dynamics like the women but unfortunately prannoy , sai  or sameer seem to be able to move to the next level 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

2 hours ago, Prashanth said:

Sorry guys was on leave so there was no update on the results, But felt happy to see people updating and keeping the thread alive...Thanks and great to see u all in action again.

hey prasanth missed yr posts

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Our  best chances are in Wrestling , shooting and boxing for 2020 ( we have improved  compared to Rio  )  ..... with possible medals in Badminton and weightlifting ( we are at the same level as last time ) .......... we have long shots in athletics ( weare  better off than last time )  , hockey ( better off than last time ) and archery( a little worse off than last time )  .......................... but tennis we have really no hopes ( we are much worse off than Rio ) ........

My take on wrestling 

wrestling I hope we can qualify at least 4 in women and 4  in free style and 2 in greco ( based on the asian champ results )- this is compared to 6 last time ( we had 2 pluses  due to doping disqualifications and then we lost 1 due to doping and ended up with 7 ) ........so 10 would be great ......... I feel if we qualify 10 we can get 1-3 medals this time . I have marked what I believe is our best chances in yellow to  qualify this time - I am marking only their  last 2 years  victories here ....... 

Freestyle                     
57 ravi ( u23 world silver , 5th at the asian championships )/ rahul aware ( commonwealth G, asian championship - B in 61 )  
65 bajrang ( S -  world championship medallist , asian games champion, asian championship G  )     
74 amit dhankar ( S - asianchampionship ) / sushil Kumar ( commonwealth 2018 G )      
86 deepak punia ( Silver - world juniors , asian championship B   )         
97 Satyawrat ( B - asian championship )              
125  sumit ( B - asian championship , 5th -  world 2018 )            

Women                       
50 Vinesh ( asian games G, asian championship B in 53  )            
53 Babita ? ???????( Commonwealth S )               
57 pooja ( world B )                   
62 Sakshi (  asian championship - B )               
68 Divya ( asian games - B, asian championship B  )            
76 Krishna Bishnoi ????? ( commonwealth B )            

Greco                       
60 Gyanender ( asian championshp B )              
77 Gurpreet ( Silver - asian championship S, 5th - Asian Games  ) / Sajjan Kumar ( S - World Juniors , 5th - U23 )  ) 
87 Sunil (Silver -  asian championship S )               
97 harpreet ( asian games 5th  )                
130 aryan panwar ????? ( asian junior bronze 2018 )             

will give my take on qualification chances in shooting next if you found this list useful

Edited by nitinsanker

Just a few points from your wrestling predictions-

I feel Ravi or Sandeep Tomar have better chances to qualify than Amit Dhankar/ Sushil im 74 kgs. Ravi is pretty good, lost a very close one for bronze at Asian champs against a world medalist. He can be a surprise package.

Vinesh has confirmed that she will remain in 53 kgs. It is very difficult for her to cut her weight at every tournament now. She will take some time to adjust to the new category. Will know till world champions where she stands.

As for medals at Tokyo, Bajrang and Vinesh seem to be only real medal hopes with outside chance for Pooja Dhanda and Sakshi Malik if they get lucky with the draw.