website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

with so many player still have chance to qualify, I think we can at-least win 10 quotas more. This will take our total delegation to around 115. With 3 in golfs and 2 in swimming almost assure, i am  hoping at-least 3 in boxing and 2 from our men archery team.

But since now  our both men & women 4x400 relay team have chance to qualify, and with 7-8 others are hoping to  achieve qualifying mark, we may get 15-16 athletics quota. which means it will cross hockey 32 quota places.  And it will take total quota to above 120, which will be a great achievement for Indian sports. 115 itself is mark which is way ahead  of our earlier target of 100 quota in Rio Olympics.    \

with Indian players crossing first target of 100 quota easily, I have no doubt that we will also chase down the next target, that is wining more than 10 medals in Rio. I am hoping for minimum 2-3 medals in shooting ( hope to see a women shooter wining Olympic medals for first time), 2 again from wrestling and 1 each from  Boxing, Archery & Badminton. We may win more in Badminton and Archery. And may see some surprise from Gymnastics, Athletics and Tennis. 

2 minutes ago, Vivek said:

with so many player still have chance to qualify, I think we can at-least win 10 quotas more. This will take our total delegation to around 115. With 3 in golfs and 2 in swimming almost assure, i am  hoping at-least 3 in boxing and 2 from our men archery team.

But since now  our both men & women 4x400 relay team have chance to qualify, and with 7-8 others are hoping to  achieve qualifying mark, we may get 15-16 athletics quota. which means it will cross hockey 32 quota places.  And it will take total quota to above 120, which will be a great achievement for Indian sports. 115 itself is mark which is way ahead  of our earlier target of 100 quota in Rio Olympics.    \

with Indian players crossing first target of 100 quota easily, I have no doubt that we will also chase down the next target, that is wining more than 10 medals in Rio. I am hoping for minimum 2-3 medals in shooting ( hope to see a women shooter wining Olympic medals for first time), 2 again from wrestling and 1 each from  Boxing, Archery & Badminton. We may win more in Badminton and Archery. And may see some surprise from Gymnastics, Athletics and Tennis. 

yes I think we have a good chance to cross 110 but 120 seems impossible to me as of now 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

6 minutes ago, Vivek said:

Do not count boxing in. We can win many but we won't win any. You know the reason

Edited by Smit

7 minutes ago, Smit said:

Yeah just checked its starting on june 16. I was searching for results everywhere :lol:

and of course you could not find them :d

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

35 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

yes I think we have a good chance to cross 110 but 120 seems impossible to me as of now 

120 is possible, but only if our both men & women 4x400 relay team qualify for rio. As it now we have won 96 quota places, 3 from golf is almost sure and we can add one male and one female swimmer through university places. At the moment 101 is sure. 2 from men archery, 3 from boxing will take it to 106. If both 4x400 team wins quota it will increase total quota to 114. And we all are hoping that   Krishna Poonia,  Sidhanth Thilangay and Duttee chand will achieve the qualifying mark. In probables list their are many more.  So  any thing is possible. We may cross 120. But however I will celebrate anything 100+, because this was the target set by our sports administration, Government and all sports lovers. We are achieving a target in sports, which is some thing new in India.   

Edited by Vivek

34 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

Nithin, how is 120 impossible? Let me give you numbers.

4X  400 relay teams(men&women) will surely qualify, takes our number to 106, swimming(2), archery(2) and golf(3), so it takes the number to 113. Boxing atleast we expect another 4 right, so it takes the number to 117, so will be not get at least another 3 places in Athletics?

53 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

why I did not put them 

I feel Mayookha was injured in the fed cup and she may not recover in time to reach the A standard ... arpinder has not shown any improvement in the last 2 years  and has been at a lower level , Renjith is  a possibility but  I feel he may have less chance to reach the given the standard of 16.85...... his best has been around 16.4 this year so has a huge ground to cover 

OP Jaisha / sini has to improve a really big amount to qualify within 2:01:50 , doing 2.05 is pretty average , for example lili das as a junior did it 

arokhya rajiv and anilda and poovama could have done it but they and the coaches  are all focussing on the 4*400 which I think is a good option as they can with some improvement and some luck be in the final in that event while in the individual they will never be able to even come close to the semis 

I have no clue what suriya is doing and as she seems to be not in the race at all 

Neeraj seems to have lost all confidence and his scores are coming down unless there is a surprise improvement I have lost confidence in him as of now 

50 km walk I think Basant Rana and  jitender singh and  Chandan singh have a chance but again there is no improvement in their  last performance and the jaipur track where they did well is I feel not a very standard track ( had a few downhill segments ) so their time could be over estimated , also 50km event is not common so I do not know how many events they have left till July 11th 

But I will add long shot chances are Neeraj ( if he regains confidence ) , Mayookha ( if she regains from injury )  ,  Renjith , srabani and basant / jitender with also 4*100 meter women who I feel can go much faster but they need to get their act together and they need to do a sub 44 ( twice ) which is why it is unlikely. 

What about Srabani Nanda?